Can't split a polygon using the Cut Polygon Tool -- Have you had this problem?

05-01-2013 08:02 AM
LorneWoods
New Contributor
On two occasions, I have seen an error message while trying to cut feature class polygons.

[INDENT]"The Cut Polygons task could not be completed.

Field is not editable.

Field is not editable.

Field is not editable."

[/INDENT]

This error will not allow you to complete the cut to the polygon.

This happened with two different sets of data in the last two weeks (one yesterday). 

There is a work-around.  You export the feature class to a shapefile then back to a feature class.  We shouldn't have to do this -- its 2013 and we are using ArcMap 10.1 not 9.0. 

An incident ticket has been filed with Esri -- I'll post back if they know of anything.  Let me know if you have run into this also.  FYI Editor Tracking is set.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Are your features in SDE?

If it is in SDE make sure you have the feature dataset registered as versioned.

Have you compressed your database recently?

Compress your data base if you have not done it in a long time. When you don't compress your database it gets very large over time and trying to remember all the past events can cause issues.

Are your polygons in a topology or parcel fabric?

If they participate in a topology this can sometimes cause issues.

ArcInfo, ArcEditor or ArcView?

Do you have snapping on?

Try it again but hold the space bar down. That disables snapping.

Is it doing it to every polygon or just some?
If it will not cut a polygon try exploding that polygon.  You may have multipart polygons and that can cause issues as well. Sometimes there is a drawing error with a polygon where a line of it crosses itself.  The crossing may be so small you cannot see it until you zoom in really close.  Sometimes exploding solves this.

Do you have a relationship for the polygon class?
I don't think this should cause issues but it may.

On two occasions, I have seen an error message while trying to cut feature class polygons.

[INDENT]"The Cut Polygons task could not be completed.

Field is not editable.

Field is not editable.

Field is not editable."

[/INDENT]

This error will not allow you to complete the cut to the polygon.

This happened with two different sets of data in the last two weeks (one yesterday). 

There is a work-around.  You export the feature class to a shapefile then back to a feature class.  We shouldn't have to do this -- its 2013 and we are using ArcMap 10.1 not 9.0. 

An incident ticket has been filed with Esri -- I'll post back if they know of anything.  Let me know if you have run into this also.  FYI Editor Tracking is set.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
I received this error for the first time today.

It was caused by enabling Editor Tracking with a 10.1 client and then trying to edit with a 10 client. The geodatabase is 10. A compress didn't change anything. I went back to the 10.1 client and disabled the Editor Tracking and I was able to cut the polygon with no errors.
0 Kudos
DianeMcConnaughey
Occasional Contributor
I got this error message when trying to cut  a polygon "The Cut Polygons task could not be completed.  An Unknown error has occurred".  Using 10.0 SP4.  I zoomed out a little more, and cut the polygon in a different placed, and it worked.  Even better, it got rid of the topology error I was trying to fix.  The topology error was rather strange.  It got picked up as a gap, but when I created a feature from it it had a value of "0" for the shape properties.  I did a check geometry, then a repair, but those Null areas remained.  We are having network issues and I was getting other oddball error messages with topology, so I copied the FGDB to the harddrive, but not seeing much improvement in fixing/finding errors.  The area I am working on is quite large with a wide range of shapes& sizes of polygons.
0 Kudos
RoksolanaPetrovska
New Contributor

I got message "The selection contains one or more features that are not editable" when cutting polygons. Before that I created layer from selected features and than I clipped the layer to create shape file. How to cut polygons in this case? I have ArcGis 10.2

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I had the 'selection contains one or more features that are not editable' error when trying to split a polygon.  The polygon in question was a shapefile.  However the mxd I was working in has geodatabase FCs in it.  I loaded the polygon to split by itself in a new mxd and the split polygon worked.

0 Kudos
KirstenHazler
New Contributor III

I was having this problem with an editable feature layer hosted in ArcGIS Online. My workaround was to copy the feature, paste it into the same feature layer, and delete the original shape. I was then able to cut the copied shape. Who knows why, but it worked.

0 Kudos
DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

Oh good I didn't even have to ask you in person how to get around this (editing a particularly heinous exclusion feature)... haha thank you March 28 Kirsten!