ArcSDE 10.1 (Orcale client 11g R2 64 bit) & ArcSDE 9.3.1 (Orcale client 11gR2 32 bit)

11-27-2013 05:21 AM
Ashish_KumarGupta
New Contributor
Dear Admins,

I am having 64 bit Oracle 11g R2 database server in Windows Server 2008 R2 operating System.

I need to install ArcSDE 9.3.1 in Windows Server 2003 32bit OS with oracle 11gR2 Client.

As well as need to install ArcSDE 10.1 in Windows Server 2008 64bit OS. with oracle 11gR2 Client.

Can I use a single database for implementing both version of ArcSDE envoirnment with different system???

Please suggest / share valuable inputs & experience from possibilities and especially performance point of view.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ashish
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You cannot configure a single Oracle instance to run more than one ArcGIS
geodatabase (not with one ArcGIS release, nor with multiple releases).  You
must have multiple instances to run multiple geodatabases with Oracle (other
databases can support different ArcGIS releases in each database, but only
up to a certain point).

I wouldn't recommend using an application server service on a host where you'll
also be running a 32-bit client (at the 9.3.1 release, either ArcGIS Desktop or
ArcGIS Server) -- Instead use Direct Connect (the 32-bit Oracle client must be
first in the PATH).

It is possible to run multiple Application Servers with different ArcGIS releases
(I do it all the time), but it's difficult, and it isn't supported (and it once contributed
to trashing one of my VMs).  Playing mix-n-match with application word size on
Windows hosts is a real nightmare (but trivial on Linux).

The best way to avoid trouble is to use Direct Connect and forget using application
servers at all.  The only supported way to run multiple application servers is to use
multiple hosts (which will cost you twice as much in licensing).

- V
0 Kudos
Ashish_KumarGupta
New Contributor
Hi Vangelo,

Thanks for your reply, do you have any idea about Multiple geodatabases in one Oracle database instance with different ArcSDE version???

Regards
Ashish
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Besides this?

You cannot configure a single Oracle instance to run more than one ArcGIS
geodatabase (not with one ArcGIS release, nor with multiple releases).

- V
0 Kudos
Ashish_KumarGupta
New Contributor
Hi Vangelo,

Yeah beside this can I've multigeodatabase with same configuration scenario, with ArcSDE version using a single oracle database as well as single oracle instance???

Regards
Ashish
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Within the same Oracle instance and within the same Oracle database, you can have multiple user-schema geodatabases but one and only one SDE schema (referred to often as the master schema).  In other words, you have one master geodatabase and multiple user-schema geodatabases which are essentially system-managed through the SDE schema.  All of those user schemas MUST be at the same Esri release; you cannot have one user schema at 9.3.1, one at 10.0, and another at 10.1 SP1 while the SDE user schema is at 10.2.  Upgrading the geodatabase will migrate all user schemas to the same version (at 10.1 and higher, the Upgrade Geodatabase tool does this automatically) and it's not possible to use multiple releases, period.
0 Kudos