ArcMap is crashed after upgrading Oracle 12c to 19c.

12-16-2021 11:29 PM
st_123
by
New Contributor II

HI everyone. We are going to upgrade our oracle client from version 12c to 19c. I have installed the "Support for Oracle 19c Patch" as the arcmap version is 10.7.1. However, after installed the oracle 19c 32-bit client, ArcMap crashed upon launch. 

May I know why the crashing issue is existed even thought I have already installed the patch to ensure the compatibility between ArcMap 10.7.1 and Oracle 19c ? Is there any steps I have missed ? Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello st_123,

Do you have any more details about the crash or install process? Is there a particular map document crashing, or does ArcMap crash all the time? What about ArcCatalog? Are you able to open ArcCatalog and make a database connection to an Oracle 19c database? Does ArcCatalog crash as well?

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
st_123
by
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. There is no problem with the ArcCatalog, and I am able to open ArcCatalog and make the database connection. Only ArcMap will crash immediately when I opened it. 

Actually, we have a script to run automatically upgrade oracle version from12c to 19c, but the patches are installed before the upgrade. Is it the problem of such sequences? Or should I uninstall the 12c first and then install 19c oracle, then to installed the 19c patch for ArcMap 10.7.1. ? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello st_123,

According to the ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) Support for Oracle 19c Patch website, the only requirement for the patch is that the ArcGIS product be installed on your system before you can install the patch. I wasn't able to find any information on the patch causing ArcMap to crash.

Since database connections work correctly in ArcCatalog, that leads me to believe the Oracle 19c installation/setup is successful.

If it were me, I think my next step would be to uninstall/re-install (or repair) ArcMap 10.7.1 to see if that solves the crashing issue. Just be sure to backup any map documents and data before doing so.

If that doesn't work, you could try your idea: "Or should I uninstall the 12c first and then install 19c oracle, then to installed the 19c patch for ArcMap 10.7.1.". Before doing so, I'd make sure to do research on the potential impacts of uninstalling Oracle 12c and make your decision from that.

I don't believe there is a problem with the sequence here, but you never know.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
FJ
by
New Contributor

Hi st_123,

After you installed the arcgis patch, did you also run upgrade geodatabase?

From the patch page:

Upgrade a geodatabase

When a hotfix or patch for ArcGIS has been applied, it may also be necessary to upgrade your geodatabase. See the Upgrade the Geodatabase section on the Geodatabase management page for your individual DBMS platform for more information.

0 Kudos