Select to view content in your preferred language

arcgis make route event layer

Jump to solution
08-15-2014 12:14 AM
MaartenBos
Deactivated User

I want to place lines along an existing line. For that im using the tool 'make route event layer'. In the event table are my lines. The problem is that the lines with a length of 1 meter are not showing in ArcGIS (no shape length) and the lines with a length of 2 meter are showing. What goes wrong here and what do i have to change?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Maarten Bos wrote:

With datamanagement-append i put the new feature class as input. The existing feature class as the target layer.

Your set up is backwards.  The target should be the new empty feature class you are creating and the original feature class should be in the append input list.  The empty feature class should have imported the full schema of your original feature class, as Riyas showed, and you should use the NO_TEST option as he recommended..

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Maarten Bos wrote:

Have you tried it by yourself? Maybe its ArcGIS that doesnt allow lines shorter as 2 metres?

My routes use feet as the units and with my tolerance and resolution settings I can create segments of 1/1000th of a foot long.  This exceeds our Survey data accuracy, and ensures I have no loss of accuracy when I use measurements from these documents.

If you are unable to reproduce the results Riyas showed that he achieved with your data, you should give a more complete description of the exact steps you are following (the exact tools, menus, dialog inputs, etc) to get the best help.

I still think that even .0001 kilometers tolerance is too rough.  That is only 1/10th of a meter (0.1 meters) as your shortest line segment.  Survey documents in the U.S give distances as small as 1/100th of a foot (0.00304800610 meters)

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Honored Contributor

I believe Riyas and Richard have answered your question !

On a side note you mentioned that you uploaded your Feature Class or Event Table.  I am still trying (struggling) to learn this new forum.   Riyas or Richard where did you find the uploaded file(s)?  I did not notice and attachment or option which listed uploaded files.   -- Out of curiosity and learning the new forum.

Maarten -- Hopefully your problem is resolved 

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen
Frequent Contributor

Go to Content -> Document (Next to all content and blogs), you'' find maarten's upload there.

TedKowal
Honored Contributor

Thanks!!....  I would have thought it would be linked to the Thread .... This will take some getting use to!  If I could I would mark this Answered!

0 Kudos
MaartenBos
Deactivated User

Yes its working! Thank everyone for the help:) I hope i can help you guys too with ArcGIS questions.

0 Kudos