ArcGIS for AutoCAD newbie questions

01-10-2013 06:43 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I have ArcGIS 10.1 (ArcInfo, Server Enterprise).

1. Is ArcGIS for AutoCAD included at this license level or does it need to be purchased?

2. Does it require AutoCAD Map, AutoCAD Civil, and AutoCAD 3D? or is AutoCAD 2012 sufficient?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Timothy,

ArcGIS for AutoCAD is free and available here:
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-autocad/download
Essentially, it is a downloadable plug-in application for AutoCAD that provides interoperability between AutoCAD and ArcGIS.

AutoCAD 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit) is supported. Please see the common questions section for versions supported and other useful information:
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-autocad/common-questions

Best Regards,

Aaron
0 Kudos
DorianBybee
New Contributor
Hi, I've got AutoCAD 2013, and just downloaded the new ArcGIS for CAd 300, which seems to work fine.  However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to bring in my shapefiles.  I have ArcGIS Explorer, which of course, can't export to CAD, so I thought if I had the ArcGIS for CAD plugin, I'd be able to.  However, when I upload my shape file (either by itself, or as the original zip file with all connected files), and try to connect to it in CAD through Add Service, and put in the URL to the file on My Content page, it says it is an invalid URL.  I'm at a loss here, I just want to be able to access shapefiles that are available for free through federal and state onling GIS providers, so I can work with them in 3d.
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
I can understand your confusion!  ArcGIS for AutoCAD gives you tools to consume services published on ArcGIS Server.  It does not include a way to add local data sources, such as shape files, to your CAD drawing.

To export to CAD, you need to either use ArcGIS desktop or Autodesk's Map 3D product line.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I've got AutoCAD 2013, and just downloaded the new ArcGIS for CAd 300, which seems to work fine.  However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to bring in my shapefiles.  I have ArcGIS Explorer, which of course, can't export to CAD, so I thought if I had the ArcGIS for CAD plugin, I'd be able to.  However, when I upload my shape file (either by itself, or as the original zip file with all connected files), and try to connect to it in CAD through Add Service, and put in the URL to the file on My Content page, it says it is an invalid URL.  I'm at a loss here, I just want to be able to access shapefiles that are available for free through federal and state onling GIS providers, so I can work with them in 3d.
0 Kudos
DorianBybee
New Contributor
I can understand your confusion!  ArcGIS for AutoCAD gives you tools to consume services published on ArcGIS Server.  It does not include a way to add local data sources, such as shape files, to your CAD drawing.

To export to CAD, you need to either use ArcGIS desktop or Autodesk's Map 3D product line.

Hope this helps!

Karen, thanks for the clarification - I was beginning to assume that was the case.  We don't need those softwares for any real professional reason, I was just interested in finding a way to spatialize some of the GIS data that is out there for a presentation.  If I could just get the GIS data in a way that a 3d modeling program could read, as if it were just CAD data, I could do some interesting and useful things with it.  However, it's not the end of the world.  At least I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to make this work now.. : )  Thanks!
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
Isn't that the truth!  Sometimes knowing what can't be done is just as useful as knowing what can be done.

Good luck with your presentation.  However...know that there is still lots of cool data out there on ArcGIS servers in the form of Map Services or Feature Services.  Feature Services can be "exported" to CAD as features and might serve your purpose.  The trick is finding the right data!

Karen, thanks for the clarification - I was beginning to assume that was the case.  We don't need those softwares for any real professional reason, I was just interested in finding a way to spatialize some of the GIS data that is out there for a presentation.  If I could just get the GIS data in a way that a 3d modeling program could read, as if it were just CAD data, I could do some interesting and useful things with it.  However, it's not the end of the world.  At least I can stop banging my head against the wall trying to make this work now.. : )  Thanks!
0 Kudos
JohnAmann
New Contributor
Hey there! The problem I am having is that I have an AutoCad 2013 file that apparently has no data so when I try to import the data into ArcMap nothing shows up; no layers, points or anything else. The thing is, there are points on the Cad file that I imported from my GPS unit. They show up and everything when I open the file on Cad but when I try to import the data into ArcMap, nothing shows up. Help please?
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
AutoCAD 2013 isn't supported in the current release.  The only thing I can suggest is saving your AutoCAD file as an earlier version.

Hey there! The problem I am having is that I have an AutoCad 2013 file that apparently has no data so when I try to import the data into ArcMap nothing shows up; no layers, points or anything else. The thing is, there are points on the Cad file that I imported from my GPS unit. They show up and everything when I open the file on Cad but when I try to import the data into ArcMap, nothing shows up. Help please?
0 Kudos