Anyone know the cause of a parcel fabric join becoming unrecognizable?

11-04-2016 11:12 AM
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

I'm attempting to add a new subdivision to a parcel fabric and its having some rather odd behavior.  I draw all the lines.  Everything looks great.  I hit join and everything still looks great.  But the minute I add a single join link the whole thing warps on me where the parcels aren't even recognizable.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Has anyone found a solution?Before adding a join linkAfter a single join link is added

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Where are the new parcels being generated (e.g. digitized in Desktop but unjoined, Deed Drafter, imported from CAD, etc.)?

0 Kudos
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

They were drawn directly into the parcel fabric.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you added other subdivisions to your parcel fabric in the same way without issue?

How long have you been using the parcel fabric to manage your parcel data?

0 Kudos
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

I have added a total of 12 subdivisions that I've manually entered the linework into the Parcel Fabric (I have not tried an import from CAD).  So far things have been working very well except for the occasional oddity that I've been able to rectify.  I've been practicing with the Parcel Fabric in preparation for our County to import the entire County parcel layer into the Parcel Fabric.  I had used a "junk" parcel fabric for a while to enter in cogo data just out of convienence for years.  This is the first time I'm working in a style to prepare for only editing in Parcel Fabric.  The subdivision that became a problem would have gone in the NW corner of this group of subdivisions.

Completed subdivisions

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I know these are a bunch of questions, but my organization is new to the parcel fabric so I am trying to find out about issues other users are having with the fabric.  Is your fabric stored in SDE?

0 Kudos
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

I don't mind!  At the moment I'm using a personal file geodatabase that houses the local government information model.  I'm using ArcMap 10.4.1.  So far I've tried

• creating a fresh ArcMap project with just the parcelFabric layer added
  • recalculating the Feature Extent  
  • creating a random parcel further North West then the area in question.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do your organization plan on migrating the parcel fabric into an SDE database?

Are you using your own local data?  Or are you using the parcel fabric class data from Michigan or Oregon?

0 Kudos
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

I'm actually using my own data.  I've played with the class data but its pretty simple.  I wanted to run into complexities of real life data that way when I go to class I can get answers for those issues.  I just didnt expect this random warping.

When we migrate our entire parcel layer into the parcel fabric it most likely will be housed on our SDE server.  We will be having an outside company handle the conversion.  I didn't place the practice fabric on the SDE server since I occasionally roll back to a previous version if I do something particularly goofy and want to roll back further than the last save.

0 Kudos