Addresses with 1/2 in Address

08-29-2019 04:14 PM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have an addressing system that uses addresses with 1/2 (or other fractions) as one of the address components?

Do these fractional addresses cause issues with any part of your enterprise system such as geocoding?

If these types of addresses, which might be a legacy of older addressing systems, caused problems, what did you do to resolve the issues?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Michael,

Addresses with fractions are actually a pretty common occurrence, to the point where we made a locator that should be able to handle these addresses. This is the type: Single House with Subaddress. If you're running into any issues, we'd definitely like to hear about it! Are you seeing any problems in particular, or is this more sort of a preemptive post to prepare for a workflow you'll be doing in the future?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would it be standard practice to put the fraction information into the Unit ID field?  I ask because we have a field already accounted for with that information and we are storing the fractional information in a different field which I'm thinking might causes issues with the address locator style that you mentioned.  If this is the case, I would probably need to move the attributes from that field to the Unit ID field and get rid of the other legacy field hilding the fractional portion of the address. 

0 Kudos
NadineArens
New Contributor II

So I started to try UNIT for my 1/2 street number but that did not seem to work (still only finds whole street numbers and a street name) and perhaps UNIT would display after the street name. Then I tried Building Unit to see if a 1/2 would be searchable after the street number versus after the street name, but did not seem to find the whole number at all (like 119 1/2 W. Main St it could not find 119space but it could find 315 for example without having a 1/2 in the HalfNbr text field). Then I am thinking this won't work unless Building Unit Type also has some field value but I could not find documentation on what it was expecting for that field. Subaddress is definitely not one of the field options in the locator. So I am not sure if I'll be able to do the half numbers after the street Number. Street Number is a short. Are we supposed to make it a double and enter 119.5 to make ir render as 1119 1/2 W Main St? 

0 Kudos
NadineArens
New Contributor II

I saw a page that   appears to show making the House Number a text field like 20 1/2 would work for half street addresses.

NadineArens_0-1645143731636.png

However, creating a text field as follows (one with 1001/2 with no space and one with 108 1/2 with a space):

NadineArens_1-1645143941739.png

And setting it equal to House Nbr in the last locator (buildings_16) only finds whole numbers like 108 or 100

NadineArens_2-1645144047083.png

NadineArens_3-1645144367815.pngNadineArens_4-1645144437103.png

It is as if it ignores anything more than 3 characters even if the text field is 10 characters.

0 Kudos
JimJohansen
New Contributor II

I recently worked with a system used for police dispatch that didn't allow 1/2 addresses. We were required to have an extra field with the value of .5 and that portion of the full address field recalculated to .5.

0 Kudos
JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

I had an issue with my locator not recognizing 1/2 in the unit field.  Upgrading to 10.7 and recreating the address locator fixed it.  

0 Kudos