add an existing projection to the drop down list

Jump to solution
04-21-2017 08:44 PM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

I am embarking on a new project that is located in Finland and the data in the project folder are projected in Finnish KKJ_Zone 4 [EPSG2394].

The Arc dropdown box lists two projections for Finland under Projected Coordinate Systems/National Grids: KKJ Finland Zone 0 and KKJ Finland Zone 5 (but no Zone 4).

Is there a simple way to add KKJ Finland Zone 4 to the list of selectable projections? or do I have to define the projection myself?

I am using Arc 9.3.1 and Windows 8.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Curtis

Thanks for that tip. I used to know how to see hidden files but since acquiring Windows8, I had lost it. Got it back now, thanks.

However, saving the Finnish projection (with a .prj extension) at the link you provided, I am unable to select that file when using Coordinate System/Import. The dialogue box calls for Geographic datasets and the .prj file is not visible amongst the folder contents.

Regards

\Walter

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This isn't hidden files I'm talking about, the issue is hidden extensions for known file types (different thing). If the file is truly named .prj, (not prj.txt) the import dialog above can see it fine. (As seen in my screenshot up-thread.) 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/865219/how-to-show-or-hide-file-name-extensions-in-windows-...

hide extensions for known file types

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Curtis

What do you make of this then (attached)?

Walter

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

That's weird because we added zones 1-4 in a very, very early release, well before 9.3.1. Zones 0 and 5 were added in 9.3. They should be in National Grids\Finland. Are the other Finnish coordinate systems there?  The GK zones?

I've see a problem with prj files if you are using a localized OS, but the decimal symbol doesn't match the code page. For instance, the decimal symbol is set to comma, but using a US code page / localization.

Melita