Time-dependent geodesy and implementation i ArcGIS

10-25-2019 05:00 AM
Pål_HermanSund2
Esri Contributor

Hi,

A Norwegian client is asking "interesting" questions related to time-dependent transformations, reference systems and implementation in ArcGIS. All I have found is a good read from Kevin Kelly (FIG 2012) at: Esri https://www.fig.net/resources/proceedings/fig_proceedings/fig2012/papers/ts02b/TS02B_kelly_5643.pdf

Now, any information or plans for implementing "time-dependency" in ArcGIS related to geodesy? 

Ideally, one should be able to specify time and reference for data capture and time and reference for data delivery and then the systems could handle the rest automatically. Starting to be a big thing here witrh all the offshore O&G activity.

best

pH 

7 Replies
KevinKelly1
Esri Contributor

We are currently working on functionality in ArcGIS Pro to implement fixed-epoch 14-parameter time-dependent reference frame transformations. Fixed-epoch here means that the epoch of the transformed data will match the epoch of the input data. Thus, the tool will not transform data within the same reference frame from one epoch to another. This latter functionality, which we call “intra-frame” transformation, is currently in the design stage and will follow after the 14-parameter fixed-epoch transformation is implemented. 

Kevin M. Kelly,

Geodesist, Esri

NeilWinn
New Contributor

Any update on the progress of intra-frame transformations in ArcGIS Pro?

Neil Winn

National Park Service

0 Kudos
KevinKelly1
Esri Contributor

Hello Neil,

Thank you very much for your inquiry about time-based transformations.

Functional models to manage positional displacements caused by tectonic plate motion and crustal deformation are presently being specified by the international geodetic community, in which Esri is actively participating. Esri is a member of a new Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) working group aimed at producing international standards for a Deformation Model Functional Model (DMFM). I am the co-chair of this working group. You can find out more about the DMFM working group here. Esri will develop tools to manage positional displacements due to tectonic plate motion and surface deformation based on recommendations/standards coming out of this WG. These standards will take some time to work out, so we don’t expect this functionality to appear in Esri software over the short term.

Kevin M. Kelly,

Geodesist, Esri

NeilWinn
New Contributor

Thanks for the response Kevin.  It's great to hear that something bigger is in the works.

0 Kudos
RobertoFernández
New Contributor

Dear Kelly,

I am also looking forward to being able of working with intra-frame transformations applications in ArcGIS Pro. Any update on its progress or when it would be available? 

Regards

0 Kudos
MohdZukhairiAbdLatef
New Contributor II

Dear Kevin,

Currently, I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 and would like to clarify following regarding coordinate operations on dynamic datum:

1. Does 10.4 version (ArcMap) can perform this type of coordinate operations - time-dependent/specific at any reference frame? 

2. I have noticed 10.4 version does not have updated EPSG dataset: v10.++ where some of CRS within my working area (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) does not reflected with updated CRS compared to my personal version 10.8 (Professional License). Is it anyway I can update 10.4 geodetic library i.e. import latest version of EPSG dataset/wkt on it? 

Thanks

Zukh

KSA

0 Kudos
kevi4713
New Contributor

Dear Zukh,

1. Currently, neither ArcGIS Desktop nor ArcGIS Pro can perform time-dependent datum transformations. We are currently working on functionality in ArcGIS Pro only to implement fixed-epoch 14-parameter time-dependent reference frame transformations. Fixed-epoch here means that the epoch of the transformed data will match the epoch of the input data. At a later stage, we will implement "intraframe transformations", which will transform data within the same reference frame from one epoch to another. At this stage, we cannot say at which release of Pro we will have this new functionality, as there are a few challenging software design issues that we must resolve to accommodate this new functionality.

2. Unfortunately, I think you cannot update ArcGIS v10.4 with the latest EPSG datasets. However, please confirm this with Melita Kennedy at Esri: mkennedy@esri.com

Kevin M. Kelly,

Geodesist, Esri