Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Maps Map Tour web application error

03-18-2014 12:54 PM
ScottWhite
New Contributor II
Hello.

I'm a relatively new ArcGIS Online user.  On my Windows 7 computer (64-bit), I often like to work with two windows side-by-side, so I will often 1/2-screen Internet Explorer and 1/2-screen another application's window.  When I try to start using the Story Maps Map Tour interactive builder on a 1/2-screen window, I get the following error message:

An error has occurred
Welcome to the Map Tour web application. The application is not configured.  The Map Tour builder is not supported on mobile devices. 

I've also attached the message so that you can see it in full color!

I am not trying to run the Map Tour builder on a mobile device.  I am using a desktop computer.  As soon as I make the window full screen, the error message goes away and I see the "Where are your images or videos" dialog.  While the easy fix is to not 1/2-screen the IE window, I feel this is a bug that should be addressed by Esri.  I am surprised other ArcGIS Online users have not posted on the forum about this error message . 

I should also add that this error message appears for 1/2 screens of Chrome and Firefox, so IE is not the problem.

Could someone from Esri please reply and let me know if this is a documented bug, or if I should try to document it?

Thanks,

Scott White
Fort Lewis College
Durango, CO
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NickDavis1
Esri Contributor

Scott,

I realize it has been nearly a year since your post, but I ran across the same behavior while trying to publish the Story Map Tour today. This type of error is sometimes resolved by clearing the browser cache. If that does not work, I would recommend restarting your PC. Upon doing so, I was able to successfully publish my webmap as a Story map tour application.

Nick

GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Hi Scott,

Sorry I missed your post.

Map Tour implement responsive UI depending on browser resolution and can incorrectly detect a browser window that is tall but not very large as a mobile device. Your workaround is to reduce the window height, when the height will be smaller than the width, the builder will works.

Our most recent template Map Journal and Map Series don't have those issues. We will fix that in the next major version of Map Tour.

0 Kudos