Story Map Tour

Jump to solution
08-09-2018 02:18 PM
TuolumneRiver
New Contributor II

Hi!  I'm trying to create a Story Map Tour Side Panel and I chose to upload my images (because I have an ArcGIS online subscription).  However, when I want to upload a video I want to put in a URL and I do not see the option to do so.  It only allows me to choose files on my computer.  Is there a way to put in a youtube video and how?  I'll add two screenshots to explain what I am trying to do. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tuolumne, 

Choosing 'I need to upload my images' doesn't support videos (message appears when you hover your mouse):

As a workaround, have a look at uploading a csv with story map item details in it (you can use your ArcGIS Online images and video URLs), I've attached a sample from the Map Tour.

Carmel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tuolumne, 

Choosing 'I need to upload my images' doesn't support videos (message appears when you hover your mouse):

As a workaround, have a look at uploading a csv with story map item details in it (you can use your ArcGIS Online images and video URLs), I've attached a sample from the Map Tour.

Carmel

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

That's correct: if you use the option in Story Map Tour to upload your images directly into the Builder, you can't then mix and match by adding other media too: every point in your tour as to be an uploaded image. Use any of the other workflows if you want to have a mixture of images and videos in your tour. 

This is a limitation of Story Map Tour that you won't find in the other Story Map apps (they let you upload images and also link to media in the same story). It is because of the data structure we use for Story Map Tour: behind the scenes when you upload images into a Map Tour it adds them into a hosted feature layer as image attachments, so it expects everything you add to the tour to be an image. In the next generation of storytelling apps currently being designed, we won't have this limitation.

Rupert