Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Map Templates that allow multiple maps to be used.

03-10-2014 07:49 AM
JonMontgomery
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a story map for my organization that will need to use different maps depending on the point in the story.  I know you can use multiple maps in the side accordion template but was wondering if anyone knows of other templates that can use multiple maps or can have code added to them to enable this functionality (I'd ideally like to use something like the Map Tour template but be able to highlight either a different map or different layers for each tour point). In the end I would probably need to use 10 unique maps. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewFriesen
New Contributor
Hi Jon,

I am not positive I have a complete grasp on what it is you are trying to accomplish, but I will provide my insight in the hope it will help. You can set up your ArcMap template to conform to dimensions other than the ANSI and ISO standards provides as templates in ArcGIS. You can set it up to be any dimensions you would like (in your case you may want to choose something that is 8.5 inches tall, as  regular sheet of paper, and 52 inches wide to fit multiple maps). When exporting your project, you can export as, for example, a PDF and the user may scroll to view the ie: 10 maps you have produced within a single file.

HINT: You can also make use of a second data frame (or 11th) to show the extent of each map. Click add new data frame, and insert an extent indicator to give the user an idea of the area of interest.

Matthew
0 Kudos
JonMontgomery
New Contributor
Thanks for responding Matthew. Sorry for the confusion.  I am referring to a story map web application through ArcGIS Online such as the Map Tour template where each point in the tour will show different information on the map.  One point might show outlines of park districts while another might highlight specific point locations of features of interest. I know the side accordion map template allows for separate web maps to be used, but I'm looking for a UI similar to the Map Tour template. Hope this makes things more clear.

Hi Jon,

I am not positive I have a complete grasp on what it is you are trying to accomplish, but I will provide my insight in the hope it will help. You can set up your ArcMap template to conform to dimensions other than the ANSI and ISO standards provides as templates in ArcGIS. You can set it up to be any dimensions you would like (in your case you may want to choose something that is 8.5 inches tall, as  regular sheet of paper, and 52 inches wide to fit multiple maps). When exporting your project, you can export as, for example, a PDF and the user may scroll to view the ie: 10 maps you have produced within a single file.

HINT: You can also make use of a second data frame (or 11th) to show the extent of each map. Click add new data frame, and insert an extent indicator to give the user an idea of the area of interest.

Matthew
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II
Hi Jon,
Nothing close to Map Tour UI but other options for multiple webmaps are the tabbed viewer and the Atlas (not a storymaps).
0 Kudos