story map shortlist - Text Tab

Jump to solution
02-07-2018 03:19 AM
FuglaverndBirdLife_Iceland
New Contributor

I am using a Story Map Shortlist for a project http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=7d77ae2be0ac4cf6922f745bebc151ff 

I would like to have a tab with text only (the first and last tab) without putting a label/image on the map. The text would be an introduction (first) and citations (last).

Is there some way to do a text only tab on the Shortlist ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi  Fuglavernd

In Shortlist it isn't possible to do a text only tab so that a tab can serve as an intro or to present other info. It's a good idea though! You could assign that info to a place in your Shortlist and just have one place in the tab,but your readers will still have to click on that place in the tab, and the place will also appear on the map. There's not a way to have a tab default to showing a particular place's info panel when it opens. So there's no equivalent to the intro pic in a Story Map Tour which lets you give some context to the reader when they launch the tour without that being a place that appears on the map. I'm making a note of this because we've seen several authors trying to present this sort of additional, non-place based info in their Shortlist. It would be cool if you could configure a Shortlist tab to show the info panel for one place and for that place to not be shown on the map.

Our future longer term plans for our apps is to start to combine the functionality into an integrated builder: for example that could potentially (not definitely) let you add a Map Series-type tab into a Shortlist, or a cover page to any app. 

Rupert

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi  Fuglavernd

In Shortlist it isn't possible to do a text only tab so that a tab can serve as an intro or to present other info. It's a good idea though! You could assign that info to a place in your Shortlist and just have one place in the tab,but your readers will still have to click on that place in the tab, and the place will also appear on the map. There's not a way to have a tab default to showing a particular place's info panel when it opens. So there's no equivalent to the intro pic in a Story Map Tour which lets you give some context to the reader when they launch the tour without that being a place that appears on the map. I'm making a note of this because we've seen several authors trying to present this sort of additional, non-place based info in their Shortlist. It would be cool if you could configure a Shortlist tab to show the info panel for one place and for that place to not be shown on the map.

Our future longer term plans for our apps is to start to combine the functionality into an integrated builder: for example that could potentially (not definitely) let you add a Map Series-type tab into a Shortlist, or a cover page to any app. 

Rupert