Story Map Journal: Why can't I upload picutres from My Computer?

Jump to solution
05-12-2015 05:27 AM
LeslieNanibush
New Contributor II

Hello,

I can't seem to upload pictures directly from my computer into my story map journal. My colleague is working on a Story Map Tour and has the option. But I can only upload pictures from Facebook, Picsasa, Flicker and URL.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Justin, I'm sorry you are having trouble uploading images. Image upload was added to all our story map apps that support images a couple years ago including the Map Journal. When you click on images, just choose upload.All your images will be uploaded to the application item and have the same permissions as your app. So if you publish and only share your photos with your organization, your photos will be shared privately as well.

Hope this help. If you are still having issues, let us know.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

You are not missing anything. The Story Map Journal app does not currently support uploading images from the computer. When using the Story Map Tour with the option to upload images, the app is driven from a single web map and a single feature service that is hosted in your organization account. The uploaded images get stored as an attachment to this feature service. Because the Story Map Journal can contain many different web maps and or layer types, we don’t have a guaranteed place to host the image in your maps. This is an options we would like to add in the future but for the time being you are required to to host photo on your server or on a photo hosting service.

JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

Why does the Story Map Journal not support uploading images from the computer? 

Has this been resolved 3 years later? I'm still struggling to upload images.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Justin, I'm sorry you are having trouble uploading images. Image upload was added to all our story map apps that support images a couple years ago including the Map Journal. When you click on images, just choose upload.All your images will be uploaded to the application item and have the same permissions as your app. So if you publish and only share your photos with your organization, your photos will be shared privately as well.

Hope this help. If you are still having issues, let us know.

LeslieNanibush
New Contributor II

Its a bit of pain to get the photos on the story map without the direct upload, But not impossible. Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Our team really enjoys using Flickr for the main hosting of our photos for stories. Flickr will allow you to upload all your photos at once into a single album. It will automatically resize the photo for you so they load fast even on slower connections. Then you can just select the Flickr album in the Story Map Journal and have all your photos in one place.

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

​Snagit works well with. Flickr

You can grab screen captures, edit them, and upload directly to flickr

0 Kudos