Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Map for Lines

Jump to solution
03-15-2016 12:33 PM
SophiaWalsh
New Contributor III

I have successfully created a story map out of some points.  The process was great - simple and easy and my non-GIS colleagues loved how it turned out.  I have done a brief search for the same sort of template for a trails layer (lines), but haven't been able to come up with anything. 

We have a web/app developer telling us it isn't possible to make a map similar to a story map without breaking up my feature class into separate shapefiles for each individual trail.  This would be awful to maintain, so I'd love to prove them wrong.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

One option...convert your trail data to point features (one trail - one point) and use that new point layer to drive your Story Map Tour.  You can add the actually trail polyline features to the map being used in the Story Map.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

What Story Map template did you use for your point data?

0 Kudos
SophiaWalsh
New Contributor III

I used the Story Maps Tour template.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

One option...convert your trail data to point features (one trail - one point) and use that new point layer to drive your Story Map Tour.  You can add the actually trail polyline features to the map being used in the Story Map.

SophiaWalsh
New Contributor III

I was thinking that I would try to do it that way if there wasn't one that would specifically zoom to a line feature.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Sophia,

Currently the Map Tour only supports point features. We are looking to change this in the future, but in the meantime Kyle had a good suggestion if you still want to use the Map Tour.

You could also look at using the Map Journal app for this story. You would create one web map with your trails features and use that same web map in many sections in the journal. You'd set a custom configuration for the location for each section so that each section shows a different trail. For example, see this journal: http://arcg.is/1QWhGXo (although I'd refrain from also putting the photo in the pop-up and just have any photos in the side panel).

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any moions.re quest
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps