Story Map Cascade: problem with appearance of views

Jump to solution
12-06-2018 02:30 PM
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having some trouble with the views (or slides) in my Story Map Cascade.

I understand when I duplicate, or add new views I should be able to change the appearance of each so they appear independent of one another. However, when I change the appearance in one view, it seems to replicate across all views that reference the same web map which is very frustrating.

Where am I going wrong?

I have success with changing the map extent across different views, but as soon as I click Manage > Edit and change the symbology of a layer from dots to a heat map, the heat map appearance is replicated across ALL views referencing this same web map. I only want the symbology to be updated in one slide. Surely I don't have to create a new web map for each slide containing new symbology?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinOdell

I may have answered my own question, but it seems from this Story Map Cascade Blog, that there are three aspects of a map’s view that you can configure: the location, the layers, and whether a pop-up visible.

Would I be correct in inferring that if I wish to simply change the symbology of a layer in my web map, that I will need to do a 'Save As' on the source web map, modify the symbology as required, save again, then reference the modified web map to the required slide?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JustinOdell

I may have answered my own question, but it seems from this Story Map Cascade Blog, that there are three aspects of a map’s view that you can configure: the location, the layers, and whether a pop-up visible.

Would I be correct in inferring that if I wish to simply change the symbology of a layer in my web map, that I will need to do a 'Save As' on the source web map, modify the symbology as required, save again, then reference the modified web map to the required slide?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

That's correct. The options you get to tailor how an existing web map is displayed inside a Cascade story are limited to things that don't make changes to the web map. So you can choose the extent that is displayed, turn layers on and off, and also choose to display the popup for a particular feature. These can be applied to any web map, not just maps that you own. This is a nice feature of Story Maps because you can use maps created by your colleagues, or anyone in the ArcGIS community, not just maps that you author. This applies to all the Story Map apps except for Map Tour and Shortlist, which in most (but not all) authoring workflows expect you to own the web map in which the places you display are stored. 

To get that additional look for your map, you could do a Save As like you describe. But you could also just have two layers in your map showing the same data with different symbology, and then turn one of those layers off when you add it into the respective view in your Cascade. Keeping everything in one map can be easier to manage, ensure that everything is consistent and can also improve drawing performance, because the Cascade app just needs to load one map. But this may depend on how else you may be using the map: You may want to use that map in another app in which you wouldn't want to two different layers for the same data to appear. But in general, we'd recommend sticking with one web map if you can. 

Rupert