Select to view content in your preferred language

Static Images not showing up in the Main Stage from URL (Map Journal)

12-15-2014 02:30 PM
KateNewell
New Contributor III

I have a Map Journal that I put together with images from Flickr.  These images were provided by our Museum and I was under the impression that once they were loaded into the Map Journal, I could turn my Flickr settings on the albumn to "Private".  The museum does not want people easily searching these images, etc.

Turns out, the images need to be public in Flickr as now all my links in the Map Journal are broken and display the Flickr "Image not available" message since turning them "Private" in Flickr. And even more frustrating, when I turned the album back to "Public", the images in the map journal that pointed to Flickr are still broken.

So, I have resorted to hosting the images in a web folder and linking to them via URL (Museum feels better about this option).  HOWEVER, when I go into edit mode in my Map Journal, I can re-point all the images in the side panel with no problem.  But when I re-point the images (static images) in the main stage, there is no error saying that it didn't' work, but the images do not show up.

See #1 - #3 in the Map Journal: http://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=c36de675c0154899accf20641f432d86&... http://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=c36de675c0154899accf20641f432d86&...

I'm already really bummed to have re-point all of these images (almost 100!) from Flickr, but even more bummed that it is not working to re-point with no helpful error messages

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Hi,

Sorry about all your issues. It's not very handy that the URL of Flickr pictures change when you change the sharing but I believe that's a privacy concern. I am taking good notes that we should have a way to make that clear in the application.

Regarding the issue with the image update not persisting, that's a bug due to the fact that your image URL contains the characters '(' and ')'. If you update your images name to remove those characters and then update the Journal with the new URL it will works fine.

We are going to fix that issue in a further release of Map Journal. Thanks for reporting.

GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

The issue about the image in section #3not being displayed should be fixed later this week.

If you can wait a couple of days, you don't need to update those URL and it will just work...

0 Kudos
KateNewell
New Contributor III

Great! Thank you SO much!

0 Kudos