Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem creating 'Story Map Tour' from existing web map

Jump to solution
02-23-2018 11:09 AM
StephenHale
New Contributor

Was there a change to the story map tour template recently that doesn't allow you to create an app from an existing web map?  I've been doing this for a couple years now but today I when I tried to create a story map tour application from an existing web map, the app template was empty and asked me to import or create content.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Nothing has changed with respect to that. If your web map is or can be shared publicly, could you post the URL to the web map. One thing to check: if the location layer in your web map (the layer containing the places for your tour) has a scale visibility setting defined (i.e. that controls at what scales the layer will appear in the web map), the Story Map Tour doesn't like that, So check your layer and make it visible at all scales. 

I'd recommend working with Esri Technical Support if you are still having this issue.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Nothing has changed with respect to that. If your web map is or can be shared publicly, could you post the URL to the web map. One thing to check: if the location layer in your web map (the layer containing the places for your tour) has a scale visibility setting defined (i.e. that controls at what scales the layer will appear in the web map), the Story Map Tour doesn't like that, So check your layer and make it visible at all scales. 

I'd recommend working with Esri Technical Support if you are still having this issue.

Rupert

0 Kudos
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having a similar problem.

I had created a story map tour from this webmap last week, but was having problems getting the images to load as I expected. I came back to work on it this morning and all of my points in the story map were gone. 

I figured it was user error, so deleted the story map and started again with the webmap, sharing as a story map tour. Still no points in the story map tour.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

April, I'd recommend contacting Esri Technical Support so they can walk through this with you and see what the issue is. 

Rupert

0 Kudos
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

So, I Enabled Attachments on the feature class, added one image (as an attachment) to one feature, two images (as attachments) to another feature, and left the rest without attachments.

The feature I added two attachments to is now showing up in my Story Map Tour. All of the others are still absent. Granted, I can't figure out how to tell the Story Map Tour which of the attached images to use as the thumbnail and which to use as the picture, but I'm still further along than I was this morning.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi April

The Map Tour expects each feature to have two images attached: the first one is used as the main image and the second one is used as the thumbnail.

See: https://community.esri.com/thread/204257-create-a-story-map-tour-using-an-existing-online-map#commen... 

Hope that helps

Rupert

0 Kudos
StephenHale
New Contributor

The original question posted on a Friday, after returning from the weekend the story maps were working as expected with not change to the initial workflow.  Not sure what to chalk this one up to, but it appears to be back to normal for us at least.  

Thanks for the responses.