Maps/layers keep resetting in Story Map Cascade Builder

05-21-2021 11:38 AM
BriannaForcier1
New Contributor III

I'm working on creating a Story Map, and for some reason my layers & extent settings keep resetting between Slides. 

I'll be working on a Slide, and it will occasionally revert back to its original settings, or I'll click on a different Slide and that Slide will have reverted. I keep having to redo a bunch of work and it's quite tedious. I'm not sure why this keeps occurring.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BriannaForcier1 -- You need to click the pencil in the lower left corner of the map and have the Appearance tab active if you want to make changes to the map's extent that are saved to the story. If you don't see the blue dashed line around the map (see screenshot, below), then any extent change you make to it isn't saved. Also note that Cascade doesn't have autosave, so you'll need to click Save for any changes to persist.

Please be aware that the classic story map templates like Cascade, Journal, Tour, etc. will be moving to extended support in a few months. They'll content to be available to use, but no new development effort has been spent on them in almost two years.

We recommend that you use ArcGIS StoryMaps for all new projects. For more information see Updated classic story map transition timeline (esri.com) and Moving to ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 2.50.18 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
BriannaForcier1
New Contributor III

Hi Owen, 

I have been doing all editing from within the Appearance tab. It still randomly resets. 

I'll just recreate it within the new Story App builder. It would be nice if there was more of a warning, having gone through https://storymaps-classic.arcgis.com/en/app-list/cascade/ there isn't any information on that page that suggests it's going to extended support/hasn't been developed in 2 years. I understand it says "Classic" but it seems there should be more information so users can make an educated decision before building.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @BriannaForcier1 -- Thank you for your helpful additional feedback about the classic website!

There is a banner at the top of all the pages that is meant to direct people to the new ArcGIS StoryMaps website that has more information, but we are planning additional changes to the classic site in a few months, so we will consider your suggestions as we make the next round of updates.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 4.29.21 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos