How do you duplicate or copy a Map Journal?

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 05:39 AM
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

I want to duplicate one of my existing Map Journal to try out different things with it.  How do I save a copy of it?

Thanks!

15 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Peter: 

See my recent post here:

Data Management Tips in ArcGIS Online | GIS Education Community

--Joseph Kerski

0 Kudos
MikeRobinson5
New Contributor

Using this method works...the first time.  I made a copy of a Story Map Journal.  Edited it and renamed it.  So using my original as a "template" worked well. 

However when i went in again to make another copy I got the following error message in a pink box popup:

Copy failed! item xxxname of filexxxx already exists.

It creates a new file in the right hand box but it is white text in a red box and doesn't become available in My Contents.

Any ideas on how to make multiple copies?

Reason is I've got a long Story Map Journal and want to break it up into several Story Map Journals that I can now put in individual tabs of the new Story Map Series format.  I don't want to have to re-embed all the text, photos, captions, etc.

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mike,

That's just a limitation of how the copy works in the AGO Assistant right now. You might have to reload the AGO Assistant for it to pick up the name change on the item. You can also try the Admin Tools for ArcGIS from GeoJobe (in the ArcGIS Marketplace -- there's a free and paid version), which may handle this workflow better.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
DavidWheelock
Occasional Contributor III

Has an easier way to copy a story map been created or is ArcGIS Online Assistant still the only way.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi David. We still point people at ArcGIS Online Assistant. You can also try the GeoJobe Admin tools:
https://marketplace.arcgis.com/search.html#q=geojobe 

Rupert

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I use the AGO Assistant quite a bit and have never had any problems... though the first few times, it took some careful thinking on my part to make sure I did it properly. 

0 Kudos