Error: story map tour save failed please try again - any tips?

10-20-2015 12:19 AM
KimLangenberg
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am trying to make changes to my Map Tour by e.g. adding new tour points and pictures to the Tour. However, when I try to save my changes the following error message appears in red : story map tour save failed please try again. Whenever I make changes to the text only, it saves without problem.

I have done the following:

- in arcmap I created 3 feature classes, merged them into and and filled its attribute table containing name, caption, url, thumb_url, color.

- shared as a service and uploaded to ArcGIS Online.

- then created the Map Tour by using the template

I saw in an earlier post in March this could possibly a bug. Does anyone have an update on this? Is this an actual bug or am I simply overseeing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Sorry about your issue.

This should work, the bug fixed with last release was preventing the build to open.

Can you make a change to the settings of the application (next to the save button)?

Can you change the color of a map marker through the map?

Could you open the developer console (usually F12) and see if you have any specific message.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KimLangenberg
New Contributor II

Gregory, thanks for your reply. Yes I can change settings. Make changes to the text and change color etc. The problem only occurs when I am trying to add a new tour point and picture URLs. That just won't do it for me.

In the meantime I worked around it by adding the points and pictures URLs in ArcMap and then sharing it again overwriting the feature layer. However, in the future I might be creating 50 or so more storymaps and I'd like to do  that as efficiently as possible.

I won't be back in work until monday. i will open the developer console then and see if I can detect any messages. You will hear back from me again then. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Ok, thanks, that's pretty strange. I will wait for your next message.

If you don't see anything special in developer console, making your Tour public and sharing it here would certainly help me diagnose.

0 Kudos
KimLangenberg
New Contributor II

Hi Gregory, I got the following error in the developer console (please see attached). Thanks in advance!

Error_savingSMTour.jpg

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not able to diagnose completely with that error but looks like if you share it publicly I should be able to reproduce. Could you share the tour publicly? Thanks

0 Kudos
KimLangenberg
New Contributor II

Hi, unfortunately I can't share the tour publicly due to work related content. Thanks anyway for your help.

Cheers

0 Kudos
KarenEdelstein
New Contributor II

Greg, I'm having the identical problem. Can I send you the link to mine?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

sure, make it public and I can take a look

0 Kudos
KarenEdelstein
New Contributor II

Here you go.

Seems like as long as I don't edit the window, it will save. But I just started working on this today.

http://arcg.is/1lLIVcD

0 Kudos