does uploading photos to a story map via the ArcGIS account consume credits

05-01-2018 05:22 AM
Amikorda
New Contributor II

I'm using the Cascade story map. would like to upload photos to my account. is this going to cost me in credits?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have you check what constitutes service credits use?

http://www.arcgis.com/features/plans/credits.html

Storage would, but not the act of uploading

Amikorda
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan. I see that storage not too bad in price- "1.2 credits per 1 GB stored per month" for photos.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

As Dan mentions, yes- it will consume credits for storage space but nothing else. Alternatively, if you already have an account with Flickr, Smugmug, or another similar type of site, you can just upload your photos there and obtain a link to them and then just insert the link into your story map. That costs you nothing here in the ESRI world.

Amikorda
New Contributor II

Thank you Steve,

So if i use an external link as you recommend, will that effect the speed of uploading the photos on my Cascades? 

I mean, will my mobile users feel the difference when using the app?

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Hard for me to say. That, of course, will depend on the resolution of the photos you're trying to use. In my own work, I've been targeting image widths around 1920 pixels wide but I don't have any research to back that size up. Also, for what it's worth, both ESRI's ArcGIS Online and SmugMug are using Amazon's Cloud Hosting as the backbone for their services so I don't necessarily think there's any speed advantage for one service over another. It boils down to best utilizing what accounts you may currently use. It you already have a Flickr or Smugmug account, it makes sense to me to use those accounts to host photos rather than pay additionally to serve the same function with AGOL.

Amikorda
New Contributor II

Thanks for the super fast respond. 

You have helped us!!!

0 Kudos