Disconnect between map icons and tabs in Story Map Series

12-30-2016 07:14 AM
SuzanneLuhr
New Contributor II

When clicking on a tab in a Story Map Series, it opens the corresponding popup on the map. But when clicking on the icon on the map, it does NOT open the corresponding tab. It keeps open the tab that was previously shown, which is very confusing and frustrating. Is there a way to open the corresponding tab when clicking on a site on the map? See attachment - I clicked on the map icon, but the original tab is still showing.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your feedback. The Map Series app is primarily designed to display different maps (and/or photos and videos) in each tab, so unfortunately it does not support the type of interaction you are describing (i.e., having the app switch tabs when someone clicks a feature on one of the maps).

It sounds like your story may be better served by using the Map Tour app or Shortlist app, which does support this type of interaction. Have you tried either of those?

If you are a developer, or have a developer you can work with, we do have a documented customization of our Map Journal app that would let you add an interactive index map, which sounds like it might fit your needs. Here's an example story with this customization and a blog post with the code and instructions.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SuzanneLuhr
New Contributor II

Owen, thank you for your reply. Yes, we've tried Story Map Tour, and in fact have a Map Tour embedded in the Story Map Series. Map Tour wasn't exactly what we wanted, and neither was Map Series, so I tried combining them! I have created a Map Journal, and liked it but the rest of the crew voted it down. I am not a developer, but will show them the example. I have tried Shortlist, but would need more photos than we want to use to fill all the space. Unless the space is adjustable? Thank you for the tips! We might look at downloading and customizing, if we can find the developer.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Suzanne,

Sounds like you are becoming familiar with all the story maps apps, which is great! Sorry we are not meeting your needs at the moment. We'll incorporate your feedback and comments into future app development.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos