Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating links between main frame to specific section

12-22-2014 10:02 PM
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

I am using the Journal template that shows webmap with lines featrue on it - on the "main" frame. I am looking for a way to link between a each line feature in the webmap, to a "section" in the side-frame. Is there a way? I tried to use Ancors in  - its not working... any ideas?

thanks,

Noam

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

Click the edit icon (the pencil).

Click on the Side Panel tab.

Select the text you want to create a link to the main map.

Click on Locate an address or place (in the Main Map Actions area) --- looks like a push pin.

A map will then pop up and you can click on the place (say a road) that you want the text to be related to.

0 Kudos
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

Thanks. Elliott, But I am looking or the other way around.

let me start from the end: I want to make the right "section" in the table of content to show up when I click on a feature (a line, point or polygon) on the map. for example: lets say that the journal is all about sight in the city. Each site represented with a point on the map and a section ib the TOC. when I click a site - the TOC will show the related section.

Hope I got myself clear this time...

Thank you

Noam

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Hi,

Yes this is doable, see that example: http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/?appid=d3fff6acdf5e4b08a82d99f07f20ddfb

Map Journal has an API that allows developer to navigate between sections. See that documentation for the procedure Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

This message has been edited to reflect a new procedure for creating those links in April 2015. The previous procedure does not work anymore.

0 Kudos
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

can you please tell me how can I implement your suggestion? I tried but... keep getting error messages When I try to write the syntax to a field in the layer...

thanks

noam

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

You are welcome.

What are you using to edit the layer? For sure you can't do it in ArcGIS Online. My example was done using a CSV with excel and dropped in the webmap.

0 Kudos
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

I tried with the field calaulator in ArcGIS desktop because the layer is a line feature one and not points.

Noam

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry I don't know ArcGIS Desktop much and won't be able to help you diagnose more.

Would it be possible to create a CSV in Excel with the feature ID and the attribute that contains the special links and do a join in ArcGIS Desktop?

We are planning to document this thoroughly later this year.

0 Kudos
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

I'll Try that and get back here to tell...

Noam

0 Kudos
NoamEzioni1
New Contributor II

Well, Gregory,

I seems that there is no way to do what I wanted. at least not any way I Tried.

Thank you for your help!!

But still another "sub" question: Is there any way to link from some other site to a specific sector?

all the best,

Noam

0 Kudos