Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't choose location to add a point in Story Map Tour

04-11-2018 08:51 PM
MaureenPeniuk1
New Contributor II

I am having a problem choosing where I can add a point. I have tried in chrome, IE and Firefox, on 2 desktops. When I "add a point" I am not getting to choose where the point is added - it gets added somewhere on  the screen. I can not move it. All I can do is change the colour. I can not pan the screen to try and maybe get the place where I want the point to be added situated in the centre of my screen, in the hopes that maybe that will be where it puts the point.  I tried one of the Beta apps and it gave me a cross mark for where the point would be added. But the app is not an app I want to use. So how can I add points to a Story Map Tour? There iis an option to type in lat and long. But the lat and long are not shown on the screen. So do I need to use google earth to get lat and long to type in? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Maureen -- I'm sorry you are having trouble placing your tour point. I just tested this and I wasn't able to reproduce your problem -- I am able to move the points around in the Map Tour Builder as expected.

Can you please provide a screenshot of where in the app you are having this issue and the exact steps you are going through when you run into this issue? Also, could you share your app publicly and share the link here so we could take a look?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Maureen

I've also not been able to reproduce this issue, If you can provide the exact steps it would be great.

Story Map Tour does work a little differently than Story Map Shortlist with respect to adding locations for places. When you add a place, if its location can't be determined automatically (for example if you upload an image with geotag info), then you locate it in the Add dialog's Location tab as part of adding the place. There's not a Set Location button that gives you a crosshair tool like in Story Map Shortlist. If you bring existing images in from Flickr, the Import dialog will let you assign locations to images that don't already have geotags in Flickr, as part of the Import process.

To change the location of a place in Story Map Tour, first click on that place (either click its numbered symbol on the map, or browse to that place in the tour) and then click on it and drag it to move it. Like in Shortlist, you can only edit the location of the currently selected place in Map Tour.

If you get stuck or seem to lose your place on the map in Story Map Tour, do these three steps:

1: click the Settings button and in the dialog that appears go to the Extent tab, and make sure the spatial extent shown in that tab is the spatial extent you want your tour to have. This will normally be the area covering all the places in your tour. This is the extent that your readers will get taken to if they press the Home button in the map. It is also the initial extent that your readers will see when they launch your Map Tour (unless you are using the new Side Panel layout with a cover page and a zoom level set for your tour).

2: click the Save button to save your Tour.

3: reload the Story Map Tour builder by pressing Refresh in your browser, (or going to ArcGIS Online > Content > My Content or My Stories and start editing your Tour again from there.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

0 Kudos