Can I toggle layers in a Shortlist Story Map?

05-21-2018 06:54 AM
enFocusGIS
New Contributor

Hi!

I'm trying to make a shortlist story map for the purpose of creating an asset map for my community. One thing I would love to do is create an additional layer that shows the public transportation routes here. It looks like I'm able to do that via adding a layer to my map by going through the Web Map section under content. What is not clear, is if I can add in the ability for the viewer to toggle the public transpo section on and off as they would in selecting different tabs under the shortlist. If that is available and I'm not seeing it, could you point me in the direction? And if it's not currently available, I would really suggest it, it would seem like a very worthwhile function.

If that's not immediately apparent, here's a template for what I'm doing, and then just imagine having a little option to toggle on and off a public transportation route so viewers could see easy ways to get to different attractions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi

I want that function in Shortlist too so you can add supporting layers that appear/disappear based on which tab you click. Shortlist currently doesn't support tab-specific display of supporting layers. If you are a developer, or know a friendly one (like all the ones on Geonet), it is possible to add that into your Shortlist by customizing the code.

Story Map Series lets you set up tabs that show different layers, different layers, or even completely different maps, when readers click on them, but Series doesn't show places in a side tab like Shortlist does. However it may be worth looking at too if you want to show a different set of layers on a different maps.

Rupert

enFocusGIS
New Contributor

Thank you Rupert, I will ask around to see if someone can help me do that. It's my understanding that if we customize it like that then we also need to host the map on our own servers correct?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

To customize a Story Map app template, you'd just host the source code for the app on your own server, and then make any changes to the code you like. Your story map instance and the web map(s) and other spatial data it displays remain hosted in ArcGIS. You'd then just point your customized source code at the appID of the story map instance you want your customized app to point at. For a good intro to that process, see the If You're A Developer section of the Resources | Story Maps page.

Rupert

0 Kudos