Add groups to a tab in a Short List Story Map?

Jump to solution
02-10-2017 07:55 AM
StaceyMcDaniel
New Contributor II

I have been working on creating a story map using the Short List template.  I've been successful in setting up the three main tabs and organizing the point locations from my web map within them.  I was wondering if there is a way to group items within each tab.  I've looked into the possibility of embedding another short list into the individual tab, but this functionality does not seem to be possible.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Stacey

To keep the Shortlist UI fairly simple looking we don't support grouping places that are displayed inside a tab, so there's only one level of organization in a Shortlist. So apart from manually organizing your places in a particular order in a tab, or adding some additional text into the names of places to indicate groups or sets, there's no way to do that. For example if you have a tab containing restaurants you could add 'Food Truck', 'Diner', 'Restaurant', 'Coffee Shop' to the beginning of the name of each place and then manually organize the places so all the Food Trucks are listed first in the tab.

You could also add a graphic icon to each thumbnail in a tab to indicate what group or type of place it is, or have the whole thumbnail be that icon, instead of using a different photo for each place.

You also can't embed content into a Shortlist tab because the tabs only show places, so unlike Story Map Series and Story Map Journal you can't create a tab or section which contains something that itself contains more tabs or sections.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Stacey

To keep the Shortlist UI fairly simple looking we don't support grouping places that are displayed inside a tab, so there's only one level of organization in a Shortlist. So apart from manually organizing your places in a particular order in a tab, or adding some additional text into the names of places to indicate groups or sets, there's no way to do that. For example if you have a tab containing restaurants you could add 'Food Truck', 'Diner', 'Restaurant', 'Coffee Shop' to the beginning of the name of each place and then manually organize the places so all the Food Trucks are listed first in the tab.

You could also add a graphic icon to each thumbnail in a tab to indicate what group or type of place it is, or have the whole thumbnail be that icon, instead of using a different photo for each place.

You also can't embed content into a Shortlist tab because the tabs only show places, so unlike Story Map Series and Story Map Journal you can't create a tab or section which contains something that itself contains more tabs or sections.

Rupert

0 Kudos
StaceyMcDaniel
New Contributor II

Rupert,

I appreciate the response and the information and suggestions you've provided.  That is actually what I expected, but wanted confirmation, especially about embedding content.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos