Weird lines appearing on my layout view in ArcMap

03-25-2015 09:23 AM
MaeganSalinas
New Contributor

I am finishing up a map and every time I add a north arrow or scale bar I am getting green horizontal and/or diagonal lines that carry through until the edge of the printing view. Very strange. This has never happened to me before. Anyone know what's the deal?

help.JPG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

This has happened to me. In my case the map would look fine when I closed it but then when I reopened it or modified the layout, the green lines would appear. Always two of them.

I have managed to create a (4th) version of my map that the green lines have yet to appear in. I took everything off the page layout (ie. scale bar, compass, text, border). Then, using the select tool, I drew a selection area over the entire map. When I did that, I discovered two little-bitty blank boxes at the bottom right of my page. I deleted those two boxes and re-inserted everything from scratch. I don't know for certain that the boxes were causing the problem but the lines have not re-appeared so perhaps it is worth a try for you.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Don't know why it comes, but you can try the following.

In Layout view, Use Select Elements tool and drag a rectangle over the green lines. DELETE.

Think Location
TiffanySelvidge1

I don't know about what happens in Maegan's case, but for me, I can't ever select the green lines. I have tried to Identify the lines but the few times I get a result, the result does not make any sense.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

While viewing, you won't see it as selected with Select Elements tool. But if u drag a rectangle over it with select elements tool and delete it, it will get deleted.

Think Location
TiffanySelvidge1

So drag a (Select Elements) rectangle over the area, delete the rectangle and the green lines (which were selected behind the scenes) will also be deleted? I will have to give this a try the next time it happens. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

My guess would be something has gotten corrupted in the Layout or the mxd.

If you drag to select with the Select Elements tool and that doesn't help you might also try using the Select All Elements command from the Edit menu in the main toolbar to see if that selects anything.

Another thing to try is to drag a selection rectangle that covers the entire page, copy everything selected and paste into a new empty layout in another instance of ArcMap.

If there are still problems you might want to contact tech support so an analyst can work through the issue with you and see if there is a solution for your case or a bug that needs to be addressed.

DavidArmlovich
New Contributor

This worked great for me. Thanks.   I did the drag thing across the lines outside of the layout, hit the delete key and problems solved.

0 Kudos