Select to view content in your preferred language

Not enough labels in contour annotation

08-11-2017 08:09 PM
BrianWilson
Frequent Contributor

Is there any way to tell the contour annotation tool to generate more / denser labels?

The "ladder" option seems to do nothing discernible.

When I use the tool to create contour annotation, the labels are very sparse. I'd rather have it generate 10x too many and delete the extras than have a page of contours with 1 or 2 labels.

11 Replies
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

I think this is a bug. I am running 10.6 and have the same problem.  Maplex is placing labels great but when I export them to annotations, most are missing and the Maplex placements are not honoured also. Laddering for contours which works great dynamically does not export at all into static annotations.  Seems like exporting is messed up. 

0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor

I now believe that it is specifically the contour placement method that's the culprit. It labels fine dynamically but when exporting to static annotations it drops (in my case) 73% (a VAST majority) of the labels. Also, the problem seems to get worse with the number of contours; the more contours I need to label the less exported static annotations I get. When the dataset contains up to 15000 contours and the Countour method is selected, the export will still drop labels but not as many. When labelling 50000 contours only a fraction of the labels convert and so on...    Workaround: Changing the method from Contour placement to Regular placement method retains ALL the labels in the same positions but you loose the nice laddering options.  

In case anyone wonders why i need to label so many contours; we're building a high quality topographic basemap for a web GIS system across a vast geographical area and at 14 different scale levels down to 1:1500. At each scale level the interval of the contours changes and each scale level is more and more details as we zoom down. I need static annotations because we are masking the lines bellow the labels. Once finish we export these projects into a tile package to be used as basemap services on the server. 

0 Kudos