importing mr. Sid. 24GB..six hours and counting what gives?

09-21-2020 03:27 PM
JohnRay1
New Contributor

Using ArcMap:  Issue:  Received an Aerial Photograph of Oneida County, WI from the county and it is a Mr Sid format and exceeds 24 GB.  I did copy it to my solid state drive first, and then tried importing it as a raster in ArcCatalog and after three hours of chugging away, I cancelled the process, which after three more hours I went to bed and found it had finally finished cancelling sometime that night. 

I read somewhere that the Mr. Sid files should not be imported directly but should be converted to a TIFF, so this morning, again in ArcCatalog, I tried to convert before importing.  Here I am over four hours later and still chugging, I think.  At no point did the program ask me what format to convert to...it just started chugging away again.   Guess I will just let it keep chugging along until I am heading off to bed tonight and will hit the cancel button again.

Clearly, I will need to clip this ultra large aerial photograph in order to use it in ArcMap, or maybe building pyramids will suffice,

My Questions:

1.  Is this file too large for ArcMap? If so, is there another program I can use to clip it?
  2. If ArcMap can handle it, how do I proceed to import it to my file geodatabase?
  3.  Once it is imported, how do I clip it without needing hours (days) to process?
  4.  Where is the progress bar? If you had a progress bar, I could at least monitor my progress and decide to tough it out or abort.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How much ram do you have?

What does it look like in Windows Resource Monitor or Performance Monitor?   (Windows Administrator tools)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JohnRay1
New Contributor

Hey Dan: I have 16GB RAM….I have been running for 16 hours now trying ESRI’s suggestion of importing the MR.Sid into a new File Geodatabase… Have notified them of this time gobble or failure and am awaiting their next move. Cheers, jR

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Kudos
JohnRay1
New Contributor

Arc just finished the task…failure. Here is the error message. Cheers, jR

0 Kudos
JohnRay1
New Contributor

Dan: just as a follow up…apparently MrSid’s can be directly dragged into an active Map Document and do not require being imported into a Geodatabase. If there are other complications from short circuiting the procedure, I have yet to discover any. So, cheers, jR

0 Kudos