Error by creating a new fill symbol (2 layers) in the style manager

Jump to solution
01-30-2016 01:30 PM
MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

Hello everybody.

I have been trying to create a new fill symbol in the style manager in ArcMap 10.3 that consists of 2 layers (multilayer). When I want to use this new symbol for a shape-file (polygon), the whole data frame appears in this symbology and not just the selected polygon layer. If the symbol constists just of 1 layer everything functions well. I have also tried to lock up/unlock each of the layers but this didn´t help. My purpose is to create a symbol for buildings (1 layer: the color, 2 layer: line fill).

Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have seen this when one of the geometry elements is in error and the style bleeds through.

Run a repair geometry to see if this fixes the problem   Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You question in languishing in the GeoNet Help place...

... this is where people come to get help about GeoNet... perhaps you want another department?

Here is the guide... it's like being in the wrong building...GeoNet Community Structure

You will have to move this to a new location... perhaps Maps and Mapping ... otherwise, it may languish here for a long time...forgotten and ignored

Moving it will save you from having to get back into the queue to ask it again...

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan that this should probably be move...see Moving Content​   and I till tag Cartography and Maps​ and Mapping​  in the mean time.

It would also help to specify the version of ArcMap you are using.

We used to get polygon symbols that would "bleed" into the rest of the area.....try zooming in or out to see if that fixes it.  It was a bug in older versions of ArcMap if I remember correctly (maybe it was AV3.x?)....but I haven't seen that issue lately (but I also don't do my mapping anymore).

BTW - It wouldn't hurt to restart your arcmap session, check your legends, etc.  Just to make sure it's not something simple.  If it persists, you may want to call tech support.

edit: ...oh, and besides changing scales....try moving your extent....the polygons on the edge might be the issue.

MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

The product version of ArcGIS for Desktop I am using is: 10.3.0.4322.

Firstly I have removed all of the layers in the table of contents and have imported them again. I have also checked if the properties of each layer are the same as the properties of the data frame (including the coordinate system) but there weren´t any changes.

When I zoom to the full extend or to the extent with the large scale (1:5000), just the polygons are filled with the symbology so there is no mistake. Also when I create a new Shape-File in ArcCatalog and edit a new polygon feature in ArcMap the multiple layer symbology functions well. The feature classes in which I wanted to change their symbology have been downloaded from GEOFABRIK as shp-files. So maybe you cannot add the second layer in feature classes with predefined symbology…

I know it is not a big problem so I have to live with this default symbology where I can manipulate with just one symbol layer.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have seen this when one of the geometry elements is in error and the style bleeds through.

Run a repair geometry to see if this fixes the problem   Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

True, I have seen this happen with geometries that don't have the right orientation. If the data resides in a geodatabase the feature may have a negative area. The Repair Geometry tool as Dan Patterson​ suggest will resolve the problem.

I not, can you export the polygon and post and attach it to this thread (although exporting the feature may resolve the issue).

MartinPospisil
New Contributor III

There was a problem with the incorrect ring ordering by some features. I have used the repair geometry tool as you have recommended and the problem has been solved. Thanks all of you for your help.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Could you mark the last post by Dan Patterson​ as the correct answer? This way other members of the community can find the solution to similar problems more easily! Thanks and I'm glad it solved your problem.

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I get a similar problem.  It happens to polygon features that represents road markings, so the geometry can be quite long and thin but otherwise unremarkable - no errors being picked up by Repair Geometry - BUT, it only occurs when I have an additional empty layer in the TOC.

0 Kudos