Creating reference map from scratch versus out of the box

Jump to solution
03-29-2024 01:06 PM
VogtBoat
New Contributor III

Hello, I am a county GIS technician that is making a series of large and small scale reference map for my county sheriffs department. As you know making a reference map from scratch that is legible is difficult.

Are there any out of the box label groups and symbology groups online that can help me produce a boiler plate map fairly quickly with our internal data? I find this symbology provided with Archie Pro to okay but I not quite up to the standard I am looking for.

I am trying not to spend the rest of my life adjusting drawing order and street and roads symbologies and making fine-tune adjustments to labels.

I am in the United States, and I have very common things that need to be mapped like state, land, state forest, interstates, state, highways, major roads, minor roads, campgrounds, small towns, large towns, etc. Surely there’s a cartographer out there smarter than I that has their symbology and labels dialed in and has shared it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You might try browsing ESRI's Solutions Gallery to see if there's something in there that you can use as a starting point. I don't think any of it will have labels but there should be map templates. Also, NAPSIG has some resources as well for symbology and perhaps map templates but their perspective is from the Emergency Management side of things.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You might try browsing ESRI's Solutions Gallery to see if there's something in there that you can use as a starting point. I don't think any of it will have labels but there should be map templates. Also, NAPSIG has some resources as well for symbology and perhaps map templates but their perspective is from the Emergency Management side of things.