Creating a very hi resolution hillshade for a specific map scale lower than 1:5,000 ?

12-08-2015 12:28 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi

I'm working on a map that has campground for our Forest. I am going to set the map scale lower than 1:5,000 .What I would like to know if there is a way that can I creating a smoother detail for hillshade lower than Map scale 1,500 ?

If you have a hillshade and DEM add to ArcMap, you know it will look like a grainny or fuzzy. Is there a way around to make them smoother ? Is that a possibility to do that ?

I have the 10m DEM and Hillshade here.

My plan was to export them to about 1,2000 map scale

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you considered converting DEM to TIN? Requires 3D Analyst or third party tools..

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I could do that. Why Tin ?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Because TINs will appear sharp at any resolution. Whether or not the triangles will work for your map, I don't know.

You can also try Resampling your DEM raster to a smaller cell size.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

OK, this is something I will give a try. Thanks ! Also, the reason why  I post was because I wanted to know if others have already did the same thing what I am going to do.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are some recent additions to arcscripts 2.0 beta that you might find interesting as well

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4b2ea7c5f87d476a8849c804b81667aa they might enable you to mask deficiencies without having to recreate what you have.  Also a search using "bump mapping" reveals some other cartographic enhancement techniques, although nothing has been produced in terms of tools since about 2012, but it may be worth a look

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Very useful ! Thanks.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you tried using cubic convolution resampling (on the display tab of the layer properties).

This does smoothing on the image so you don't see individual pixels.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

no image or link

0 Kudos