creating 2 maps in 1 mxd file

11-13-2015 06:57 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

so I am new at creating display maps in Arcmap. I have a file with all the layers I need in it.  I need to print 2 different scenarios within that file.  Is there a way to create 2 different maps in that file, as opposed to making a copy of the mxd file? Thanks for any help you can give.

Mike

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Do you mean 2 different layouts in one mxd? An mxd always has exactly one layout. No more, no less. ArcGIS Pro can have any number of layouts, from none to as many as you can get in before computer limitations set in, such as memory.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

yes I mean multiple layouts. Coming from a cad background, I can create multiple printouts/layouts from one cad file. Guess thats not possible in arcmap? Thanks

0 Kudos
JoshPritt
New Contributor III

You mean you want to zoom to a certain area/scale, print it to PDF/paper, then zoom/pan to another area/scale and then print that one?  If so, then you just need to add another data frame to your layout.  We use this all the time in ArcFM to show the close up of a switch cabinet for electric networks.

ArcGIS Desktop Help - Using Data Frames.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can drag the elements off the layout that belong to one dataframe and drag on the elements of another data frame and print...pain I know, but Pro is finally returning the capabilities that we had a decade or so with Arcview 3.x

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Multiple layouts was a much-liked feature of ArcView 3.x, the predecessor to ArcMap.  However, ArcMap does not support multiple layouts.  There has been talk from time to time about ESRI re-implementing this.

Meanwhile, one potential workaround in ArcMap to check out is to use Data Drive Pages:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor

ok thanks....then tell me this.  If I can only have 1 layout, is there any way to lock/freeze that layout so it stays the same, even though I switch back to the data layout? I would like to set my view and zoom the way I like it and then switch back and forth. Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it can be locked, but only at one view for one data frame, so you can go back to that data frame and do what you want.  If you want to do what you want when you want and have everything perfect...create an mxd for each map and then one for doing stuff...or migrate to pro, sooner rather than later.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Mike you can always use a bookmark for each view...by doing so you can set each extent and return to it at anytime in your layout.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

but...you can't bookmark a layout setup, if you are moving stuff on/off the layout page...only a dataframe view

0 Kudos