ArcPad on a Panasonic Tablet FZ-G1

11-14-2013 04:54 AM
KimProulx
New Contributor
Has anyone used ArcPad on a Panasonic ToughPad Tablet FZ-G1?  Or with a tablet using Windows 8 Pro operating system with success?
Tags (3)
19 Replies
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
We have been using ArcPad on the Dell Latitude Windows 8 Tablet and the Asus VivoTab Windows 8 Tablet. It has worked just fine 🙂

ArcPad 10.2 is also able to use the Windows 8 Location Sensor as an input using the 'Location Sensor' GPS Protocol.

Hannah 🙂
0 Kudos
PhilipGibbons
New Contributor
Hi Kim...Did you ever purchase the Toughpad?  I'm curious how it is working for you with ArcPAD. 
Hannah...did the Dell or Asus have any problems connecting to ArcPAD--I've heard there are some issues with Windows 8 (com ports, etc) and connection to ArcPAD.

Thanks a lot!
-Phil
0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Phil,

I will assume that you are talking about using the inbuilt location sensor with Windows 8 Tablets?

In ArcPad 10.2 -all you need to do to connect to the location sensor is select the Location Sensor Protocol and the Location Sensor Port on the GPS Preferences tab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30507[/ATTACH]

I have had no issues connecting ArcPad 10.2 to the inbuilt location sensor on either the Dell Latitude, Asus VivioTab or the Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

Hannah 🙂
0 Kudos
PhilipGibbons
New Contributor
Thanks Hannah.  That's excellent news!  Do you suggest a preferred device? And lastly, do you use some kind of ruggedized case?

Thanks again!

-Phil 🙂
0 Kudos
MathewRiley
New Contributor II
Hello All:

I'm a little late to the party here, but I was checking the forum for another matter, saw this relevant thread, and had to chime in!

Yes, I run ArcPad on the Panasonic FZ-G1. In fact, my organization has 10 of them deployed. We're running ArcPad 10.0.4 and Windows 8. We purchased the Toughpads with true GPS receivers, so we're not using Windows Location API, but GPS through the COM port. Utilization of the Windows Location API requires ArcPad 10.2.x, and since our licenses are for 10.0, I have no comment on how that functionality works.

However, our staffers have generally had a pretty positive reception regarding functionality and performance of ArcPad on this platform. A few gripes that I have are that the ArcPad camera will only take a maximum picture resolution of 640 x 480 (known bug NIM089150), and the fact that the FZ-G1 only has a 3.1 megapixel camera to begin with...

Regarding carry cases for the Toughpad, your options are very slim. There is a hand strap product and a Toughmate "always on" case that we don't really like - you cannot place the Toughpad in the cradle with the Toughmate case on. Our solution was to contract a custom carrying sleeve from a manufacturer of radio harnesses. Our custom solution has worked out well.

Good luck on your ArcPad deployment; ours has been a game-changer for my organization.

Matt Riley
0 Kudos
MarkSteele2
New Contributor II

...We purchased the Toughpads with true GPS receivers, so we're not using Windows Location API, but GPS through the COM port....

Matt Riley

Matt

Did you purchase the FZ-G1 with the integrated GPS chip or are you using a separate external receiver (USB or RS-232)?  If you are using the integrated chip, how is the performance, especially the precision?  We are considering purchasing a couple of these tablets but I am a little concerned about the positional accuracy of an integrated GPS.  Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Steele
0 Kudos
MathewRiley
New Contributor II
Matt

Did you purchase the FZ-G1 with the integrated GPS chip or are you using a separate external receiver (USB or RS-232)?  If you are using the integrated chip, how is the performance, especially the precision?  We are considering purchasing a couple of these tablets but I am a little concerned about the positional accuracy of an integrated GPS.  Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Steele

Mark:

We purchased the Toughpads with the integrated GPS chip. This is a L1 band only GPS, so one can expect accuracies in the 2 - 5 meter range. That being said, we've found that we get positional accuracies on the lower end of the range, it acquires a signal fairly quickly, sees many satellites, and almost always has a low PDOP. I can personally say I've never seen the PDOP above 2.9 on mine.

Firing up ArcPad, I was even able to get a signal inside my building, and the PDOP is still low:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32018[/ATTACH]

Also keep in mind that we don't need sub-foot accuracies from this equipment in the ways that say, a utility company would need. We use these toughpads in a mining environment, and plus or minus 6 feet accuracy is more than adequate for what we are doing.
0 Kudos
mohdalsubaey
New Contributor
Mark:

We purchased the Toughpads with the integrated GPS chip. This is a L1 band only GPS, so one can expect accuracies in the 2 - 5 meter range. That being said, we've found that we get positional accuracies on the lower end of the range, it acquires a signal fairly quickly, sees many satellites, and almost always has a low PDOP. I can personally say I've never seen the PDOP above 2.9 on mine.

Firing up ArcPad, I was even able to get a signal inside my building, and the PDOP is still low:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32018[/ATTACH]

Also keep in mind that we don't need sub-foot accuracies from this equipment in the ways that say, a utility company would need. We use these toughpads in a mining environment, and plus or minus 6 feet accuracy is more than adequate for what we are doing.

Dear mattjriley
i have toughpad fz-g1 with 2d scanner and i would like to change it to gps but i couldn't find the gps module so i ask you a faiver to tell me the part number or modle of your gps integrated in you toughpad fz-g1 please
thank you
best regards
0 Kudos
MarkSteele2
New Contributor II
Dear mattjriley
i have toughpad fz-g1 with 2d scanner and i would like to change it to gps but i couldn't find the gps module so i ask you a faiver to tell me the part number or modle of your gps integrated in you toughpad fz-g1 please
thank you
best regards

It is a Leadtek LR9548S.  Attached is the GPS spec sheet that we received from our dealer.

Mark
0 Kudos