Unexpected ArcGIS Online login prompt when opening mxd

12-10-2020 03:09 AM
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

For the last week or two I keep getting arbitrarily (so it seems) mxd documents that when opened, the ArcGIS Online login prompt appears. This is despite the mxd containing no data from ArcGIS Online.

Sometimes I have noticed that, when prompted, if I cancel instead of login in, the window appears again, and it makes me cancel as many times as layers are in the table of contents. Eventually the mxd document opens, whether I login or not (after cancelling several times).

Has anyone experienced this issue in recent times? (or not so recent). The rest of members within our ArcGIS Online organisation have had the same experience, so it might be an organisation-wide issue rather than a user-specific one. But perhaps this might be general to many ArcGIS Online organisations out there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Rafael - so two questions for you.  If you go to the Windows Start Button -> ArcGIS -> ArcGIS Administrator ->Advanced -> Manage Portal Connections, is your active portal set for https://www.arcgis.com?  Second, when you start ArcMap, click File-Sign in with your username/password credentials AND make sure the check box for "Sign me automatically" is checked.  See below graphics.  This "should" stop the behavior you're seeing.

arcmap_arcgisonline.JPGarcmap_login.JPG

RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your message. To the first question, yes, it's set to www.arcgis.com; to the second, no, the check box is empty. I have changed it now to sign in automatically so hopefully that will sort it?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe it will sort it out for you.  Test it the next day or so.  If the login screen no longer pops up, then that was it.  If you feel that my answer was the solution, then come back and mark it as "Accept as Solution" to close out your thread.  

0 Kudos
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

It was going all well on Friday but I got one prompt towards the end of the day, but not sure if the mxd document had something special. I will keep monitoring it for the next couple of days and I will mark it as "Accept as Solution" if all goes fine.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Rafael - interesting!  What I would recommend is save the *.mxd to a new *.mxd (and delete the old one) to see if there was an issue with the *.mxd itself.  Worth a try.

RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert, I will try that the next time I see the login prompt. It happened again yesterday, and I wondered if it could also be due opening an mxd that was last used by someone else? If that was the case, and the other user was logged in as themselves, or not logged in at all, could it ask me to log in with my own credentials?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

To my knowledge, *.mxds do not save the ArcGIS Online credentials rather the application itself does this.  One thing to try is to go to File->Save A Copy but keep it at the release of your ArcMap application.  Perhaps the *.mxd is a little "corrupt" as it were.

0 Kudos
Kara_Lara
New Contributor III

I'm also experiencing this issue, but only in 1 MXD, not every MXD I attempt to open. I tried Save-as new MXD & Save a Copy. The new MXDs still require ArcGIS Online sign in. I sign in, the MXD opens, but there are no ArcOnline data or basemaps & nothing out of the ordinary in Data Frame Properties as far as I can tell. I believe this is also causing a packaging failure when I need to overwrite a published map service on my ArcGIS Server using this MXD.

First time I've seen this & I've been publishing map services since 2015.

0 Kudos
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

This keeps happening to me randomly and I've just given up. If you cancel the log in enough times (maybe just as many times as layer are in your table of contents) it eventually opens the mxd. Normally it's quicker to log in for me. But it's unrelated to the presence or absence of AGOL layers in the mxd.

If you find a reason, please let me know!

0 Kudos