shape file

Jump to solution
01-25-2022 11:14 AM
NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

Hello. I try to save a shapefile with the symbiology. so my coworkers can open it in their map. but any time they open the shape file they need to set the source. and after that the symbiology that I have created doesn't show. they need to symbiology again. I tried save as layer but still same problem. is there any other way ? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What software are you using? In ArcGIS Pro you can save the shapefile as a Layer Package. This way all things get preserved in this process, including symbology.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/layer-package.htm

View solution in original post

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@NajmehServatsamarein2 what software are you using? ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

Shapefiles don't support symbology, so when you set the symbology in Map or Pro, you'll need to export a layer file to accompany the shapefile. Then if the end user drags and drops in the layer file and repoints to the shapefile source, then you should be good to go.

Make sure you set the symbology on the shapefile you've exported. If you have symbology that's derived from ObjectID in a file geodatabase (for example), then you may lose the symbology as shapefile unique IDs are FID.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What software are you using? In ArcGIS Pro you can save the shapefile as a Layer Package. This way all things get preserved in this process, including symbology.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/layer-package.htm

NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

I am using ArcMap 10.5.1

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That is good to know! Layer packages work in ArcMap too:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.6/map/working-with-arcmap/creating-a-layer-package.htm

I know you said that you saved as a 'layer', but the layer package is more 'guaranteed' in my opinion!

NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

so if I save as a layer package do they can change or edit? 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes. Once they import the layer package, it is theirs to make do with. They can do whatever they need to do. The benefit of the layer package with GIS files is that it will work for shapefiles, geodatabase feature classes, etc.

NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

thank you very much!

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@NajmehServatsamarein2 what software are you using? ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

Shapefiles don't support symbology, so when you set the symbology in Map or Pro, you'll need to export a layer file to accompany the shapefile. Then if the end user drags and drops in the layer file and repoints to the shapefile source, then you should be good to go.

Make sure you set the symbology on the shapefile you've exported. If you have symbology that's derived from ObjectID in a file geodatabase (for example), then you may lose the symbology as shapefile unique IDs are FID.

David
..Maps with no limits..
walnutriver
New Contributor II
Shapefiles don't retain symbology when sending the shapefile to another person.