Initial Data Frame Extent

01-04-2021 03:11 AM
Labels (1)
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to set an initial default data frame extent e.g. centred on a particular place, WITHOUT preventing users from subsequently choosing to zoom out further, as is the case with the Data Frame Fixed Extent?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's the scenario? If it's a blank MXD, the DF will move to the extent of initially added data.

Also Setting a custom full extent for your data frame—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

Yes its a blank MXD.

The issue we have is that the initial data added is often our basemapping layer file which covers a much greater area than many users require. Of course we could just create 2 basemap layer files for users to choose between, but i wonder if there is more elegant solution?

0 Kudos
Mary_Murphy
Esri Contributor

Maybe a map template might be of use? 

Link: Using map templates

Excelsior.
0 Kudos
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

While a map template is useful, in essence i was hoping that there was a way to save a spatial bookmark within a layer so that it opened at a specified extent.

0 Kudos
Mary_Murphy
Esri Contributor

Gotcha. Essentially, setting up a predefined area  of interest / location of interest at the layer level, not the  data frame level. Unfortunately, I don't think that is currently possible. The other option may be to request that they add the AOI data first, then the basemap? Make it part of the process?

Excelsior.