Incorrect Scale

07-08-2022 10:44 AM
Labels (1)
CBallntyne
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGis 10.8 to create maps for permits with CALFIRE. The Archaeology map I create has to be at 1:24,000 or 1 inch = 2000 or they are not happy with the map. Recently a map was returned because they said that while the scale showed it was at 1 inch = 2000, the map definitely wasn't, (apparently they measure). I have not changed any of my settings when creating this map and don't know what the issue is. Help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

I realize that due to the topic being Archaeology you won't be able to share too much info.  Becase of this, my replies will seem a little general.  As a RPF, I understand the need about having a scale of 1" inch = 2000'.

1. I am confused when they indicated the scale is wrong because they "measured".  There's not too many things on a map that can be used to confirm scale by a phyiscal ruler.  For .e.g. the length of a section line is not always 5280'.  

2.  When you load the project for this Archaeological map, are you saying your reference scale displays  "1:24000"?

3.  I have seen other RPFs create a map with the correct scale, but the map is then saved as a picture (e.g. jpg, etc...) and then imported into a word document.  The scale would definitely be incorrect when this is done.   

Not sure if any of this helps, but any additional information you're able to provide may help members to craft a reply to your post.

Jeff

0 Kudos
CBallntyne
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply. I have saved this map as a PDF and turned it into
CALFIRE for a permit. They questioned the scale of it (it was 1:2000)
according to arcgis. In looking at it and measuring section l ines I agree
that it does not look like 1:2000. At 1:2000 a section line should be about
2.64 inches apart where my map was about 3.5 inches apart. I have no idea
why this is incorrect, therefore have no idea how to fix it. Any help you
can provide would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
JeffHouser
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Please refer to suggestions by CherylCollins regarding margins.

Your observed issue, not sure if it's just this specfic map, or actually it's been an issue for a while in your maps and finally someone noticed the discrepancy.  Is your noted 1" inch = 2000' text, just plain text, or is it text that is dynamic to the relative scale (for e.g. 1:24000).  Just a couple of things to consider, in addition to  CherylCollins replies

Jeff.

0 Kudos
CBallntyne
New Contributor

Jeff,

The 1 inch = 2000 I insert into my maps is inserted using 10.8 insert scale text. The interesting part to me is maps that I've made for past projects have been accurate in regards to scale and in fact as a work around, I used a past map of a neighbor's property and inserted my features. The scale again was done at 1 inch = 2000 using the insert scale function, however this map looks accurate and when I have the two maps open on adjacent monitors you can see that the first one is not correct.  I have no idea what I'm doing differently on the first map that is incorrect.

0 Kudos
CherylCollins
New Contributor III

I am an archaeologist and have had this problem. You need to know what the margins of your document will be. If you have one inch margins, then your data frame has to be six and a half inches wide. I also make mine a little short so there is space under the map for any captions. Then set the scale to 1 to 24,000. When you insert the map into the document make sure it is 6.5 in wide.

0 Kudos
CherylCollins
New Contributor III

If you have coordinates around the edges, the entire map needs to be 6.5 in wide

0 Kudos