How to use the Aggregate Points tool

05-18-2022 11:20 AM
Labels (2)
KaraleeCorbeil
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to use the aggregate points tool to combine several points into a polygon shape. When I run the tool, it creates a polygon on my table of contents, but when I zoom to the layer it goes back to my entire globe and the attribute table is blank. I am wondering if it has to do with my aggregate distance (1000 meters) or that I'm working with projected data...

Thank you for any help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you working from shape files.  I have never used the tool before 5 minutes ago. I just ran it on 240 points scattered over a region in the US.  I did it at 1000 and it only made  3 polygons, 10000 it made 24, and 100000 it did only 2 (one very large)

check to make sure you do not have any multipart points.

If you are using a shape file.  Create a new ShapeFile based on the originals attributes and use the data loader.

If your in a database, compress the database.

What projection are you using? If you are using a small regional projection that may cause an issue if parts of the polygon go outside of it.

KaraleeCorbeil
New Contributor

I think the issue is that I do not have enough data points. I am not working with a shapefile and my projection should be large enough that I do not have any issues.

0 Kudos