Esri Workforce - "Unable to open project" - again

Jump to solution
08-05-2021 06:08 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

We are receiving this error - again - when we attempt to open a new or migrated Workforce project (Enterprise 10.8.1).  The last time this occurred we contact Esri Technical Support, but no cause could be identified.  We were able to restore functionality by rebooting our servers.  Any ideas on why this happens randomly, and without warning, and how to prevent it from happening?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay, couple questions in addition to Aaron's suggestions.

• are you using iOS or Android?  If Android, there is Troubleshooting logging that you can use - that hasn't been added to Workforce iOS yet.
  • When this happens - you could also try using Field Maps to create an ad hoc offline area to see if you can repro the issue there.
  • Outside of that - using a proxy as Aaron noted is what we'd recommend and what Support would also ask for.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's likely failing to generate the replica used to take the project offline and sync it periodically. You can check the server logs for potential issues or try proxying the traffic from the device using Fiddler or Charles Proxy to see what the specific error is.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay, couple questions in addition to Aaron's suggestions.

• are you using iOS or Android?  If Android, there is Troubleshooting logging that you can use - that hasn't been added to Workforce iOS yet.
  • When this happens - you could also try using Field Maps to create an ad hoc offline area to see if you can repro the issue there.
  • Outside of that - using a proxy as Aaron noted is what we'd recommend and what Support would also ask for.
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Craig,

Any idea on what the root cause of this issue might be?

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Jay,

Outside what Aaron suggested that's an issue with creating the replica?  No.

Your comment below about seeing this on Windows 10 is throwing me off - are you seeing this in the web app on Windows?  If you're using a mobile app - which one are you using?  There is no app for ArcGIS Workforce on Windows.  There was a beta release of Workforce for ArcGIS on Windows but it's no longer maintained nor supported.

Craig

0 Kudos
JayHodny
Hi Craig,
Yes, through the web app in Windows via a browser. I open our Enterprise portal in the Edge browser, click on the "box of dots" in the upper right next to my user credentials, select Workforce from the grid of apps, then select one of the Workforce projects to open. This is when/where the "Unable to open...." issue would occur if it does occur. The issue occurs sporadically, usually having several months pass by between events. Our IT confirmed no patches, updates, etc. hit our ArcGIS Enterprise servers the night before. I do not recall if we have tried other browsers (Firefox, Chrome) when this issue occurs, but we can, should it happen again. I did clear my browser cache, but the issue remained.
Thank you for your assistance, Jay
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay,

Ok, thanks this helps to clarify.

Next time this happens - see if you can capture the network traffic from the browser where Workforce is being opened and the error is appearing.  If using Edge:

• click the ... in the upper right of Edge
  • More tools -> Developer tools
  • Select the Network tab
  • Once you've reproduced the error, right click on the traffic an Save as HAR with Content.

That HAR file is what we need.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Good morning gents,

My apologies I was not clear enough as this occurs when I open a Workforce project in Windows 10 on my laptop.  I did not bother trying to open the app on my android phone.  Thank you for the work arounds and troubleshooting tips, but it seems simpler to reboot Portal and Server.  I will pass along this information to our IT group for future troubleshooting should the issue arise again.

Regards,

Jay

0 Kudos
AlanDiaz
New Contributor II

Hi,

This option works for me too.   We didn't know what was the issue.

Best regards.

0 Kudos