Workflow Manager Server and Hosting Server Explanation

Jump to solution
12-04-2020 01:21 AM
MuhammadNaufalIhsan
New Contributor III

Hello,

I need a little bit of explanation about the Workflow Manager Server. I've already post it in herehttps://community.esri.com/t5/member-introductions/workflow-manager-server-and-hosting-server/m-p/10.... But I think I posted it in wrong topic.

So in here https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/workflow/latest/install/windows/installing-workflow-manager-server.... it is stated that the workflow manager can be installed on the hosting server.

MuhammadNaufalIhsan_0-1607072867342.png

Meanwhile, in here https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/workflow/latest/install/windows/configuring-workflow-manager-server... it is stated that the workflow manager server cannot function as the hosting server.

MuhammadNaufalIhsan_1-1607072924017.png

Anyone can explain the meaning of those statements? Thank you.

Regards,

Naufal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi Naufal,

First, apologies for the delay in this response but I wanted to ensure your question was addressed. We are working on changes to this documentation to clear up this confusion and that should be coming out here soon.

In the meantime, I did want to answer your question. Workflow Manager can be deployed on either the same machine that your hosting server is deployed on or on a separate machine than the hosting server. We'd generally recommend that Workflow Manager Server be deployed on its own machine for most scenarios but understand that it's not always possible. 

The hosting server will always be ArcGIS Server. Workflow Manager Server on its own cannot be set as a hosting server in your Portal. However, if you do have both ArcGIS Server and Workflow Manager Server installed on the same machine, you can set the ArcGIS Server on that machine as your hosting server in your Portal. 

I hope that helps clear up that confusion but please reach out if you'd like some further clarification on this topic.

Thanks!

Jonathan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi Naufal,

First, apologies for the delay in this response but I wanted to ensure your question was addressed. We are working on changes to this documentation to clear up this confusion and that should be coming out here soon.

In the meantime, I did want to answer your question. Workflow Manager can be deployed on either the same machine that your hosting server is deployed on or on a separate machine than the hosting server. We'd generally recommend that Workflow Manager Server be deployed on its own machine for most scenarios but understand that it's not always possible. 

The hosting server will always be ArcGIS Server. Workflow Manager Server on its own cannot be set as a hosting server in your Portal. However, if you do have both ArcGIS Server and Workflow Manager Server installed on the same machine, you can set the ArcGIS Server on that machine as your hosting server in your Portal. 

I hope that helps clear up that confusion but please reach out if you'd like some further clarification on this topic.

Thanks!

Jonathan

JoshuaClanton
New Contributor III

Quick question - does the separate ArcGIS server containing Workflow Manager have to be federated as the hosting server to work properly? 

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos