Web Editor in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 - Available Now

a week ago
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor
2 12 460
12 Comments
PierreloupDucroix
Frequent Contributor

Hello, after installing the setup and restarting the portal, I cannot see the application in the app launcher and when trying to manually access /apps/webeditor page, I have the following error after the login page :

https://myportal/arcgis/apps/webeditor/?messageCode=OAUTH_0033&messageCode=OAUTH_0033&error=invalid_request&error_description=You do not have permissions to access this application.&state={"portalUrl":"https://myportal/arcgis/","uid":"xoxo"}

I am logging in with an administrator account that has a GIS Professionnal Standard license (with Advanced Editing capabilities included)

Is there something more to do, such as manually adding an application with an appID to my portal ?

Hector
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

@ScottSandusky @PierreloupDucroix I have the same issue in my ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 Windows environment. My user is assigned to the Creator UT, Administrator Role, and has Advance Editor UTE.

The WebEditor app does not appear in the list of apps, and I can't open it by using the app URL as I get the  OAUTH_0033  error. Also, the app does not appear when I search for it in the portal sharing API.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@Hector I believe your issue is that you need to be a GIS Professional Basic, GIS Professional Standard, or GIS Professional Advanced user type to use the Web Editor.

@PierreloupDucroix I'm not able to reproduce your issue; using an administrator account that has a GIS Professionnal Standard license, the Web Editor app is in the app launcher and I'm able to access the app.  What type of authentication are you using and are you on Windows or Linux?

Hector
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

@ScottSandusky @CraigGillgrass it was the user type. Turns out it has to be GIS Professional Standard or GIS Professional Advance, it does not work with Basic. You should review this blog statement.

"In ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3, a minimum of a GIS Professional Basic user type is required to access ArcGIS Web Editor."

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @Hector, we're looking into this.

NickMiller2
Regular Contributor

We are having the same issue as users above. We can't seem to launch the web editor in Enterprise 11.3 even though I am an administrator with a creator license. 

We license our ArcGIS PRO software separately on ArcGIS Online. Do I need to transition my PRO Standard or Advanced licenses away from AGOL to our ArcGIS Enterprise Portal in order to take advantage of the Web Editor in ArcGIS Enterprise? Is there no pattern that allows a PRO Standard user to utilise the Web Editor in 'both' ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise without having to have a PRO standard license in 'both' Portals?

ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

In order to access Web Editor in Enterprise 11.3, you need to be a GIS Professional Basic (or higher) user type, within the portal that Web Editor is hosted in.

Yes this is different than ArcGIS Online, which requires a Creator user type to access Web Editor. The reason is because ArcGIS Online has already adopted the new user type changes that were announced here. There's a helpful matrix at the bottom of this web page. These same changes will be implemented in Enterprise 11.4.

Beginning at Enterprise 11.4 a Creator user type will be consistently required to access Web Editor, in both Online and Enterprise.

ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

There was recently an error within the licenses generated in My Esri, for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 access to ArcGIS Web Editor. If you need to access Web Editor, this impacts you, and details are below. If you do not need to access Web Editor, no action is required.

Problem Summary:  When ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 licenses were provisioned from My Esri, the Creator user type and GIS Professional Basic user type were not properly provisioned the ArcGIS Web Editor application. The GIS Professional Basic user type did not include access to Web Editor, but it should have. The Creator user type did include access to Web Editor, but it should not have.

Problem Resolution:  This has been corrected in My Esri, within the license generation process (9/24/24). Organizations will need to re-generate and apply a new license file for this to be corrected.

PierreloupDucroix
Frequent Contributor

After some additional tests with @CraigGillgrass, it appears that I had to generate a new license file from my.esri in order to have the web editor app access with the GIS Pro Standard user type.

I also saw that the GIS Professional Basic licenses that should now come with every Creator level, are provided as additional licenses and not as user types, then it does not give access to the web editor, @ScottSandusky is it a normal behavior ?

ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

@PierreloupDucroix - I'm not properly understanding the question. I think we are getting mixed up in terminology. In ArcGIS Enterprise, the user type changes have not yet been implemented (ArcGIS Pro Basic included with the Creator user type). This is now in ArcGIS Online however, and will be there in Enterprise 11.4.

PierreloupDucroix
Frequent Contributor

@ScottSanduskyOK I understand. Then what type of licenses / user types should have access to the web editor app in Enterprise 11.3 ?

- Creator user type alone (I guess no)

- Pro basic user type (I guess yes)

- Creator user type + Pro Basic additional license (?)

Regards

ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hi @PierreloupDucroix  - In ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3, the following user types provide access to ArcGIS Web Editor - GIS Professional Basic user type, GIS Professional Standard user type, GIS Professional Advanced user type. There is no add-on license for Web Editor.

Labels