3 weeks ago
Labels (1)
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor
7 14 1,378
14 Comments
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

This tool does not include Auto Complete. This is one of the most used tools in our organization. Without this feature in the editing realm moving to Web Editor will not be possible. Is there a way to embed Web Editor within Experience Builder app?

Thank you,
Abi 

AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

We are also thinking there will still be the editing widget within Experience Builder like there is in Web AppBuilder with all the editing functionalities.

Thank you,
Abi

ChipMorgan65
Occasional Contributor

I agree with both of @AbiDhakal's points.

Mark_Hébert
New Contributor III

Really good leap forward - thanks!

RoanokeDave
New Contributor II

I like being able to pass along some of the simple editing tasks to the non-GIS staff and giving them a reasonable environment to do so. We have several wanna-be GIS'ers who I'm trying to encourage to do more but dropping them straight into Pro can be a little discouraging.

What about arcs? If they need to draw an arc to follow a road or draw a circle representing a trampoline what do the do? I know hosted feature layers don't support true curves ... and that's the other thing that needs to change.

avillamo_bhp
New Contributor

How can I know how much credits the editions are costing? I agree, looks very easy for no GIS - users.  

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@RoanokeDave 

What about arcs? If they need to draw an arc to follow a road or draw a circle representing a trampoline what do the do? I know hosted feature layers don't support true curves ... and that's the other thing that needs to change

The ability to support true curves in hosted feature layers is on our roadmap, I don't have a timeframe for it will be released, but it is a project that is being worked on.

For the Web Editor, we can add drawing tools that create arcs or circles but these will be created as densified arcs until true curve support is added.  We're evaluating if we wait for true curves support before adding those tools.

Craig

RoanokeDave
New Contributor II

If you go the densified arcs route, please give us the ability to set the density of points. Right now I edit hosted feature layers in Pro and when I draw arcs they are converted to densified arcs ... but I can't control the density of points. The default isn't very dense and precise survey data that I enter is destroyed when converted to chunky arcs. Go try that and you'll see what I mean. So even if you don't do true curves in Online at least let us control the point density.

I worked with ArcInfo in the olden days - it didn't support true curves either but it at least let me set the point density.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @RoanokeDave - this is one of the considerations wrt whether we wait for true curves or add the tools first.  Thanks for the comments, very helpful for us to consider.

BuffaloCoWI
Occasional Contributor

Are there any plans to add Web Editor to the options on individual item pages for maps on ArcGIS Online (and eventually ArcGIS Enterprise, I hope)? For example, the top menu item on those pages now is "Open in Map Viewer," which also has the option to "Open in Map Viewer Classic." Could you add another option to "Open in Web Editor," since now the only option is to open the Web Editor in a separate tab and find and open maps from within it.

RoanokeDave
New Contributor II

BuffaloCoWi - you can open the Web Editor for a specific map in these ways:

- In the Content pane, click the Options button (three dots) next to the map and it's in that list of actions.

- Open the Details Page for the map and it'll be in the list at the right

The trick is that you must have editing permissions for all of the layers in the map. If you don't, then the Web Editor button won't appear.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@RoanokeDave is correct - the Open in Web Editor command is available for maps in June release (this will also be available in Enterprise 11.4)

There must be at least 1 editable layer in the web map in order for these commands to appear (slight modification to what you said @RoanokeDave - it's not every layer. If you this is happening to you @RoanokeDave - please DM me)

We do plan to update this logic for the October release of Online to also add it for any web map you own (or all maps if you're an Administrator), irrespective of whether the map has layers enabled for editing.

RoanokeDave
New Contributor II

I checked the permissions thing and it got weird.

I have a map that I own with a hosted layer view in it, and that layer is shared Public. There's no option to open it with Web Editor through the options or the details page. 

So I used Map Viewer to add an editable layer (not shared publicly) to the map. It generates a message to review sharing and allow Public Data Collection on that layer before sharing publicly.

Now the map DOES show the Map Editor options and Map Editor allows me to create features in all the layers, even the publicly shared view layer. I expected the Create Features menu to only show the non-view layer. There is a note displayed, however, that says the view layer doesn't allow editing but as the owner I can go ahead and do edits. Odd for a view layer. And Odd that even as the owner I wasn't allowed the option of opening the map in Web Editor. 

Now the kicker. I went back and took the editable layer out of the map and saved it, so it's back the way it was when I started with only the view layer in it. The view layer is still shared Public and it is not approved to allow Public Data Collection. The map is still shared Public. HOWEVER, now the details page and the options list both allow the map to be opened in Web Editor with just the view layer in it. And when opened it gives the message about the owner having permissions to edit.

Somehow adding and removing an editable layer changed something that now allows me to open in Web Editor.

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@RoanokeDave 

I have a map that I own with a hosted layer view in it, and that layer is shared Public. There's no option to open it with Web Editor through the options or the details page. 

One thing to check, has editing been enabled on the hosted layer view?

I expected the Create Features menu to only show the non-view layer. There is a note displayed, however, that says the view layer doesn't allow editing but as the owner I can go ahead and do edits. Odd for a view layer.

Based on what you're describing - I would expect this.

And Odd that even as the owner I wasn't allowed the option of opening the map in Web Editor. 

That is the piece I mention above "We do plan to update this logic for the October release of Online to also add it for any web map you own (or all maps if you're an Administrator), irrespective of whether the map has layers enabled for editing."

Now the kicker. I went back and took the editable layer out of the map and saved it, so it's back the way it was when I started with only the view layer in it. The view layer is still shared Public and it is not approved to allow Public Data Collection. The map is still shared Public. HOWEVER, now the details page and the options list both allow the map to be opened in Web Editor with just the view layer in it. And when opened it gives the message about the owner having permissions to edit.

Somehow adding and removing an editable layer changed something that now allows me to open in Web Editor.

I haven't reproduced this yet but will try again - but this sounds like a bug to me, but I'll confirm.

Craig

Labels