Share widget bug

02-06-2019 03:13 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When going to the Link Options, then Query ...    Not all record values for a Field come up. For example some PINs are missing when I search the Property parcel boundary layer 124 for the PIN field, some are missing. I see it in Address as well. It seems with many records, it does not add all of them to the drop down menu.

I also propose Esri allows users to type in a value, instead of select from the menu. Users may not realize they can type to move the menu, and also you have to type very fast or it will mess up. In other words for more than 10 records or so, users should be able to type in to a box the value to search. It should use auto-complete suggestion for matches.  So, have both a menu, AND a value type-in box. 

I called Support and we observed it on both the latest hosted app (test site:   ArcGIS Web Application ) and WAB DE 2.9 / API 3.27 on my production site www.sagis.org, where PINs and Addresses were missing more often than not in the dropdown menu. Anyone else seeing this, for layers with a lot of records? They were able to reproduce it.  BUG-000120076 

This is a fantastic and powerful widget the public will really be able to leverage once we can get the menu working and a type in box. Definitely great design went into it, it's an awesome widget.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As a corollary I'd like to be able to 'share' queries created by the Filter widget. Similar to how you can 'share' a query by URL with Robert's eSearch. So a user could string together conditions with AND and OR for multiple fields or criteria sets. I.e. a property worth >$10,000 zoned R-1 larger than 1 acre, etc.

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

I would also love the ability to use a filter within the URL string.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jianxia Song‌ the main use for this widget for me would be for users to share a link to a specific property, by address. I really love this widget and it would be perfect for that. For example SAGIS Property Map Viewer 

However -- We have 130,000 polygons in the property layer for the county. The Share widget does in fact generate the dropdown menu with all (well, not all, still has this bug of missing some values).  But... it takes several minutes. In the mean time it halts the tab and Chrome thinks the page crashed. It keeps asking to kill the page. Compare this to Robert's eSearch, very easy to share a link ('Export URL') to a property. And.. The reason?  The widget doesn't grab literally every single value from a field, of a huge layer, to put in to a menu for the user to choose. Instead:   It lets them type in to create a query.

It is essential the Share widget let users type the value they want to search for, in to a text box.  For example they want to Share a link to "111 Main St".  Type it in, then it searches for that value in the field of that dataset. If it is found, it presents it, the user can click OK then share that URL.  I strongly recommend this is the DEFAULT because many layers are large in many users' viewers and this would be the 'safe' approach to prevent Share widget queries from hammering the server, and also crashing user's browsers. (Yes, on slower computers I have seen the Share widget crash a Chrome tab; it's just too much data I guess).  So yes menu (the current way it works) is nice, and would be good for an option. However, the default should switch to using a text entry box to enter the SQL query by the user.  It could be similar to Filter or Query's interface perhaps. Or... it could simply be a text box that uses the Suggest auto-complete (like how Screening widget searches for values and does auto-complete)

0 Kudos