Pop-up hyperlink to local network in Portal for ArcGIS

03-28-2019 06:56 AM
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

I am working in ArcMap 10.5 and published a feature service to the Portal for ArcGIS. One of the features layers I have published has a field which contains a hyperlink to a folder on our local network. 

Is there a way to enable and click the hyperlink in the pop-up window that will access the folder  on our local server?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dr__Nadia_AsadSiddiqui
New Contributor II

I published a feature service in arcmap 10.6.1 to ArcGIS portal, and I want to show the hyperlinks associated with  the published service in Web map created through Web App builder, but in vain. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The hyperlinks have to be a valid publicly accessible url like http://www.google.com and can Not be a network path. A network path will work in the desktop environment but is not appropriate for web apps.

0 Kudos
Dr__Nadia_AsadSiddiqui
New Contributor II

Is there a way out (a custom widget) to show the respective pdf files of my point feature layers in the Web app, by clicking on respective point features?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No it is not an issue with a particular widget, it is an overall issue with modern browsers and not being able to use network drive paths directly in web applications. It is very simple for your IT  people to setup a virtual directory so that you can have an actual url instead.

0 Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to access Property cards in a folder using a path like this File:\\ServerName.Domain.local\foldername\filename.pdf 

it will not open the link even though chrome will open the file if you copy and paste it into the browser. 

I am not sure what I am missing. 

Ken

0 Kudos
Dr__Nadia_AsadSiddiqui
New Contributor II

Kenneth Busby

I had the same problem and it finally resolved by copying the folder (that contain the files you want to open through hyperlink) to the C://intepub/wwwroot directory.

For example my folder name was SMS_HPL (it contained all scanned maps as pdf files)

My server name is main-gis-01.abc.com

the file I want to access though html popup is Misal_Colony_DistributionMap.pdf

so, the path is https://main-gis-01.abc.com/SMS_HPL/Misal_Colony_DistributionMap.pdf

Make sure you configured the popup window in your web map.

Hope it will work.

Nadia

KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

the server the files are on is not a web server with that directory. does it have to be on a webserver?

0 Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Thank you I was able to move it to a webserver and it worked. Thank you!

0 Kudos