How to add a North arrow into the Print widget export

12-07-2016 02:55 AM
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

Using the print widget in the Web AppBuilder, I export maps either as PDFs or JPEGs. The image looks clean and presentable. However, where is the north arrow? This is a classroom geography principle!

How can I add one into the final exported image?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
deleted-user-CQZbjNeBXm49

Hi Theo,

You had need to add this as a custom element into the default print layout templates or customise yours, see these links for guidance:

https://community.esri.com/thread/169486 (Recommendations from rscheitlin)

http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/create-web-apps/windows/tutorial-publishing-additional-ser...

ArcGIS Help 10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2

Map elements

Baba

TheoFaull

OK I managed to find a funny work-around. I created a new polygon shapefile which is a huge rectangle which covers the entire area of my map world. The file is named 'North_Arrow'. I imported it into ArcGIS Online and gave the symbology 100% transparency so it was on the map but not visible.

I named the layer '↑North' (press Alt-24 to get that arrow). So now when I produce a map using the print widget, the legend has an item at the top which is effectively acting as a North arrow! Phew!

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Theo,

In addition to the printing resources posted by Baba above, this video shows you a demo of how to enable your own custom print services with custom layouts (where you could add your own north arrow):

ArcGIS for Server 10.1: PrintingTools Service Tutorial

Hope this helps,

TheoFaull

Thanks Derek. I hope you'd agree though, it would be nice to have a north arrow on/off option somewhere in the App UI!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Theo,

We don't really have functionality in Web AppBuilder to define a map layout for printing, hence why we don't have the particular functionality you're looking for. But you are welcome to submit an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site for Web AppBuilder: ArcGIS Ideas 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos