Batch Attribute Editor Suitability / Compatibility with Repeat Layer

Jump to solution
05-17-2021 07:34 PM
JulietK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I was looking for a way to apply editing to values of Survey123 data, and I was suggested using Batch Attribute Editor widget. Basically what I am wanting to do is:

I have a Survey123 survey form, via which data is logged. For example, staff would enter information on Device usage and errors for the company pool devices used. Each survey would collect data like device name, device type, date & time of usage or errors encountered etc. These data on the device usage are only entered while the devices are active - once they reach their lifespan, the devices are retired and replaced. 

I have a ArcGIS dashboard linked to the Survey123 data, which show the number of active devices, number of errors encountered daily, amount of daily usage etc. I only want to display data for the active devices on the dashboard - however that means having to manually filter out the retired device names, in each of the charts inside the dashboard. This would be very time consuming. 

So rather than manually actioning the filter, it seems I could create a new field inside the Survey that automatically gives each submission a default value of 'ACTIVE'. If I use the Batch Attribute Editor, I could batch-edit the 'ACTIVE' value of all existing survey submission data of device AAA111 to 'RETIRED', and use this to mass-filter the Dashboard charts. Is my understanding correct?

Additionally, the main chunk of my survey data is in a repeat layer of the survey. I have been trying to test out the Web Appbuilder and the Batch Attribute Editor widget, but the repeat layer is not showing up on the widget configuration page for selection at all. Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or is the Batch Attribute Editor not compatible with repeat layers?

JulietK_0-1621305236947.png

Even on Google I haven't been able to find any helpful documentation on how to set up or use the Batch Attribute Editor.. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

# 3 says choose a tool or a feature to draw on the map. I added the ‘Select’ widget for selecting features

I believe the selection of features has to be performed using the selection tools within the Batch Attribute Editor widget, and any selections you've performed using other widgets (e.g. Select widget) are not used.

Based on your screenshot, I think you may need to make an adjustment in the Batch Attribute Editor widget configuration. You will want to enable the option to Select by Area, with the tools to be used for the selection.

AlixVezina_0-1622046564430.png

Then, when using the widget, you can use these selection tools to select the points to be edited.

AlixVezina_1-1622046758210.png

This will then display a pop-up window for editing the attributes of all the selected features.

AlixVezina_2-1622046813165.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

Please would you be able to share your survey and application if possible so I can take a closer look at the configuration and the layers?

Regarding the "repeat layer of the survey", please would you be able to provide more information on how the repeat layer was created?

0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi Alix,

I've attached  a  sample version of my xls form, but unsure how to share the application sorry! 

The repeat was created by inserting 'begin repeat' and 'end repeat' rows.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for sharing! Based on your XLS, I see there is no Geopoint question. Is your repeat layer a related table? Technically, the Batch Attribute Editor widget only supports layers with a geometry that can be found in the web map (so no related tables).

0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi Alix, 

Sorry, in that case that XLS was a bad example to use - I had been trying with my other sample XLS which has geopoints, but I am still running into issues. 

I’ve tried using this documentation page, but with no luck so far. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/create-apps/widget-batch-attribute-editor.htm

JulietK_0-1621977603282.png

#2 says ‘click the Edit tool in the filter column’, but there are no ‘filter column’ shown in the Batch Attribute Editor tool. Although I can choose the edit button and apply a filter there via ‘add expression’.

Once I apply the filer, # 3 says choose a tool or a feature to draw on the map. I added the ‘Select’ widget for selecting features – but when I use this widget on the map extent, it removes the filter applied by the above step.

#4 says ‘define the new value for the selected features’ but there are no sections in the Batch Attribute Editor or anywhere else on the Web AppBuilder page that lets me enter a new value for a specific field for the batch-selected features.

JulietK_1-1621977603289.jpeg

Any idea where I could find instructions for this widget, that might provide more details and examples/screen captures?

Thank you, and sorry about the late reply!

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

# 3 says choose a tool or a feature to draw on the map. I added the ‘Select’ widget for selecting features

I believe the selection of features has to be performed using the selection tools within the Batch Attribute Editor widget, and any selections you've performed using other widgets (e.g. Select widget) are not used.

Based on your screenshot, I think you may need to make an adjustment in the Batch Attribute Editor widget configuration. You will want to enable the option to Select by Area, with the tools to be used for the selection.

AlixVezina_0-1622046564430.png

Then, when using the widget, you can use these selection tools to select the points to be edited.

AlixVezina_1-1622046758210.png

This will then display a pop-up window for editing the attributes of all the selected features.

AlixVezina_2-1622046813165.png

0 Kudos
JulietK

Hi Alix, 

Ahh this is perfect, thank you so much for your help! 🙂 I thought that since I'm selecting only by specific value of a specific field (rather than selecting by location) I had to use the select by feature. Thank you again, this is really helpful! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Is there a solution for non-geopoint data where a selection query can be used rather than a map selection?

Steve Harouff

WVDOF GIS Manager

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User , right now there isn't, but this will be possible in the near future with the new editing experiences in Experience Builder. There are plans to allow for batch editing and also editing features from a selection - from a list or a table.

RenePretorius
New Contributor III

Hi @AlixVezina,

Has there been any update on being able to batch edit attributes from a table selection?

Thanks

0 Kudos