Add Multiple Related Records

03-15-2018 05:15 AM
SteveLane
New Contributor II

Hey All-

I work for a company that does a lot of field inspections, and one of the Achilles heels of AGOL/WebApp Builder "out of the box" has been that inspection records in a related table must be added individually. Or they can be added en masse to a related table by a relatively cumbersome process of exporting a table of inspections to be completed, editing that table, and then appending that table to the live feature service (not much of a time saver). 

What I would LOVE to see is a widget in WAB that, similar to the batch attribute editor, allowed you to ADD a related record to multiple features in one fell swoop. In other words, if a hydrant flushing crew flushed 100 hydrants this week, it would be fantastic to be able to highlight those 100 hydrants, and then add a related maintenance record (with identical field values) to each with a few clicks that denotes they were flushed, without having to visit each point and add the same related data to each. I'd be happy to hear someone say this functionality already exists and I've just missed it somewhere in the last update cycle (PLEASE!), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

I'm not a programmer (enough python and SQL to be dangerous to myself and others), and we don't run server (I'm sure this is fairly common in the community). I'm sure there's a way to program your way out of this issue with database triggers and custom widgets, but it's probably out of my and many others league(s) for right now. I think this would be a VERY popular widget in the field-data collection and management community, so any info on plans for such a thing would be appreciated.

Cheers

14 Replies
MichaelMelendez
New Contributor II

I also have this request.

KellyArmstrong
Occasional Contributor II

Same here

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

This enhancement is currently under consideration and may be included in a future update of the Smart Editor widget before the end of this year. We will keep you posted.

Regards,

Alix

MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Please do.  Or add it to the batch attribute editor widget.  Or add the functionality of the batch attribute editor widget and the regular widget into the smart editor widget so there is one excellent editing widget that does it all.  And make all the options customisable so people can choose to have a complex or basic editing workflow.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, I just wanted to follow up on the status of this request. After consideration, this enhancement is not planned to be included in a current Web AppBuilder widget, but will rather be considered for Experience Builder.

0 Kudos
DaveOrlando

Please please please tell me you haven't abandoned Web AppBuilder for Experience Builder.

If I see more comments like this I will be very concerned and back to the drawing board. I was about 90% of the way to replacing the functionality of our old application (Silverlight) and now Experience Builder (great in concept) is back to about 10% functionality.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave Orlando‌,

Experience Builder will not replace Web AppBuilder nor make it obsolete. Both builders will be running and maintained in parallel. Web AppBuilder will continue to be available. It's great to hear about users expanding onto our platform. Experience Builder is built on ArcGIS API 4.x for JavaScript, whereas Web AppBuilder is built on version 3.x. ArcGIS Experience Builder takes advantage of modern web development technologies, including React and TypeScript, which are part of the new widget development platform. This allows us to implement new ideas and innovate with new exciting capabilities!

MarcGraham2

Hi, so if the Web AppBuilder is not going to be made redundant by Experience Builder then surely you are going to keep developing functionality for it so that the two have feature parity? Otherwise we are going to come to the awkward position where both apps can do a little bit of what the users need, but neither can do all of it.  Unfortunately this is already a common occurrence with the templated apps.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Marc Graham‌, it is important for us to provide the tools you need. Please make sure you keep providing your feedback and ideas on GeoNet, we really appreciate hearing from you and everyone using the software!

0 Kudos