Add Data widget generalizing polygons inappropriately

Jump to solution
02-17-2022 10:09 AM
SFM_TravisBott
Occasional Contributor III

I have noticed an issue with the Web App Builder's Add Data widget that I feel didn't used to exist. I have had this workflow in place for a few years now and do not remember this issue occurring, so I am wondering if this is a new change. 

The issue: the Add Data widget, when uploading a zipped shapefile, way over-generalizes polygon features. See below:

SFM_TravisBott_0-1645120608218.png

You can see the 'real' version of the feature underneath it in red, and the 'Add Data' layer overlaid on top in blue. You can see how many vertices get dropped. 

Contrast that with using the Add Data widget with a GeoJSON...

SFM_TravisBott_0-1645123843102.png

It also works equally well with using the widget with an existing feature service version of the data. 

Every other method of adding data to the feature service preserves the vertices (appending to feature service vis Pro, copy/paste into feature service via Pro, appending data in AGOL using the 'Update Data' option on the items home page). 

The only way it seems to be dropping vertices is through a zipped shapefile. This is quite problematic for our workflow, as most of our field staff will have data in shapefile format. I would rather not have to ask them to convert their data to another format, when the Add Data widget clearly accepts zipped shapefiles (and the rest of the AGOL platform seems to not have a problem with appending a zipped shapefile directly). 

So, rest of the community: have any of you noticed this? How long has this been going on?

Esri folks: Why on earth would the platform do this? And how long has this been going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianLeroux

This may be a dumb question but do you have the "Generalize features for web display" check box checked or unchecked in the add data widget?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrianLeroux

This may be a dumb question but do you have the "Generalize features for web display" check box checked or unchecked in the add data widget?

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

Definitely not a dumb question, as you're absolutely right. I didn't even notice the box existed....

Unchecking the box fixes the problem. A few odd things that threw me off, in case somebody else sees this....only shapefiles get generalized. You can have the box checked for any other form of data and it's not generalized. And the generalizing is not just for web display...if the feature is copied over from its generalized form that generalization is preserved. 

0 Kudos
BrianLeroux

Fantastic. Glad I was able to help.

0 Kudos